Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

almost 90 days post op

maybaby05mmaybaby05 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello, I am almost 90 days post op. I had a fusion from T10-S1. The recovery has been a long, winding road. I start PT in Nov. I am still on all restrictions. My mobility is good, still using a cane. My dr ordered a bone growth stimulator. I have pain in my lower back and really achy in my hips (my spine is anchored to my pelvis/hips). My employer is anxious for me to come back but my dr is saying he wants me off for a total of 6 months. My goal is to go back by the end of next month. Is this realistic? Any advice for recovery?

• You have such a lot of healing to do.

I'd encourage you to go with your doctor's advice - 6 months is not an unrealistic time to be off work, especially for such a huge surgery. You must be such a good worker seeing as your employer wants you back as soon as.

Do keep taking it easy so that you have lots of little milestones.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks Trish! Just kind of worried about loosing my job but at the same time, more worried about going back too soon and hindering my health and recovery.
  • I, too, would go with your surgeon's recommendation. The last thing you want is to complicate your recovery or cause another issue.

You had a huge surgery and fusions take so long to recover from. Before my first fusion, my surgeon told me it would take 6-12 months to heal. After my surgery, he said 12-18 months.

I really didn't believe him, thinking, yes, but not for me. I'm young(ish), strong, athletic and healthy....WRONG! It really did take that long and I was just getting there when I had this fusion.

Take your time. Heal completely! Wishing you the very best!