Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is this pain?

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Chronic Pain
This is probably unrelated to my back issues, but I figured maybe someone here would have some insight.

I was sick on Sunday with profuse vomiting and diarrhea, which I thought was food poisoning. It seemed to go away, but my appetite never really came back. Yesterday I noticed I barely had any appetite, and I noticed this pain across my upper abdomen, just off to the left. I noticed it a few minutes after eating lunch, and then again after dinner. Overnight I woke up shaking, sweating, and very nauseous. Today I still feel the same, except the pain is getting worse. It's still in the same spot, but more intense than yesterday. Today it's pretty constant, except it gets more intense after eating. The nausea is still there, but I haven't vomited (yet).

Do you think this sounds like a stomach bug, or should I give my doctor a call? I was just there on Monday, and he diagnosed me with eczema. He started me on a steroid cream. While I was there, I mentioned to him the vomiting and diarrhea I had the day before, and he said it sounded like food poisoning. But this is now 5 days later...it's hard to believe it would still be related. What are your thoughts?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    that it may be a stomach bug. and make a Dr. appoint. if it persists.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • You are pregnant, Congrats,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hello Friend,..
    I have to know that I have lots of back pain on my back will you please let me the cure for this

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Im not a doctor but in my opinion it Sounds like your gallbladder to me. I would make a appointment with my doc.
  • Since the gallbladder is on the upper right side, it doesn't sound like it could be that, but on the other hand, pain can appear in weird places. Could be a persistent stomach bug or something else. If I were you I'd get back in touch with your doctor. Love 'n >:D< , Ess
  • you might have pressed a nerve somewhere in there. maybe one of your balls is busted... if it keeps on hurting maybe you should go. the doctor is not gonna laugh at you, just grow some balls and do it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    Forum rules prohibit members from providing medical advice. Even if you state you are not a doctor, that does not absolve you from stating medical facts.

Anything that you state, can only be based on personal experiences and NOT medical advice.

Kim stated this thread identifying some stomach related problems. Jim responded with "It could be a stomach bug". That is fine.

But from there, gallbladder, where its located, etc are all posts that are violations of forum rules.

Please take care when you respond to members questions.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • thanks for your input, everyone. I do believe my symptoms were still lingering from the food poisoning I had. I ended up calling my doctor Friday evening, and he feels I have gastritis from the food poisoning. It's slowly getting better. Still not the greatest appetite, but then again, I weaned off of the Lyrica due to the unwanted weight gain, so perhaps my appetite is just back to normal. Now to lose the 15 lbs the Lyrica (previously Neurontin) made me gain. lol!
  • Hey Kim,

I sure hope this missive finds you feeling better. It sounds like you are relaxing more which is important for healing. :) Good luck, and letting you know I am thinking of you. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you Brenda! I've been trying to take it easy as much as possible, in between working. Still having lots of back pain, and recently I've been having issues with joint pain and swelling. Last week I had taken my 800 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day for 2 or 3 days, so perhaps that led to the gastritis as well.

I'm going for a second opinion with a local NS on Wednesday. I had seen this doctor prior to my first surgery, and I really liked him. I ended up choosing a doctor associated with a larger hospital, but he is over an hour away. I've decided that, if I need to have another surgery, I'd like to stick closer to home. Also, this doctor I'm seeing on Wednesday is the one that first mentioned ankylosing spondylitis to me, because he believed I had it. I have a lot of the symptoms and found out that I tested positive for the gene, so I'd anxious to ask him some questions and find out more from him. I have an appt with a local rheumy, but they can't get me in until January.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for giving clear view to take part or get involved in this forum. On behalf of this all of us get a very close re-view of every pain related issue.

This discussion has been closed.