Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello and help!!!!

custompaintdaveccustompaintdave Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello. My name is Dave and I am here to see if anyone can help me in my journey of finding a medication that will actually help relieve my pain. I am 31 year old, father of 4 beautiful children and I have been married to my lovely wife for 13 years.

A little over a year ago I noticed that my back and arms were hurting pretty regularly. I didn't think nothing of it, I thought I was just pushing myself working full-time and going back to school full-time also. But I just kept getting worse and so far I have not had much relief for my pain. Right now I have fairly constant pain in my neck, back, and arms. I also have pain in my hips and legs. This past month my legs have been going numb while sleeping and I can barely move my legs once I get up out of bed, they feel very heavy and I have trouble keeping my balance and have to hold myself up on the walls just to walk. I have been out of work since July on Short Term Disability.

I have been diagnosed with Myelopathy and hyper-reflexia. My Neurologist says I have something wrong either in my Brain or Spinal Cord. I have been checked for MS via spinal tap, Brain, Neck and spinal MRI. He has referred me to Wake Forest university's Baptist Hospital Neurology department and I go for my first appointment there next Monday.

I am currently taking Opana ER 20Mg twice daily, Lyrica 75Mg once daily and Cymbalta 30 Mg twice daily. My insurance will not pay for Lyrica so once my samples of this run out I am sure I will be off it. Without taking Opana I can hardly get out of bed but it only seems to help for about 3 to 4 hrs. After that the pain returns and I am struggling to make it through the next 8 hrs so that I can take another dose to help. Sometimes it does not seem to help at all though. I am so tired of hurting every day and not even being able to hold my children.

My Major concern is I will be terminated from my job Jan 18th and I will lose my insurance. I don't know what I will do at that point but can't go without any medication. I am thinking I will have to switch to a generic pain killer. I guess my question for you guys is what generic pain medicine have you found that works good maybe even better than Opana?

I am hopeful that I will be able to get some answers from my appointment next Monday. Thank you for reading this, sorry it is so long.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I'm sorry to hear of your problems especially with children that you're having problems playing with. Four is a hefty load. :-)

I don't think that anyone can offer you information on what medications will work for you, there are so many and each affect individuals differently. That will be up to your doctor(s) to decide and many times you have to go through a few to find the right one.

What you mention as your diagnosis is pretty general - have they been able to pinpoint where your pain is coming from? I'm assuming you're still in the process of finding out, going to the neurologist, so that may be a stupid question.

Be sure to taper off the Lyrica before you run out - you don't want the dreaded withdrawals. Also, the other medications you're taking are for pain but Lyrica is used in part for nerve pain (it's also used for seizures, which I assume you don't take it for). The other medications won't touch the nerve pain, so you may need to find a substitute that is specifically for nerve pain.

Keep us posted on what the neuro says and your progress through diagnosis and treatment. I hope they find the problem and find a plan of action to fix what's wrong.

Take care.
  • Hi and welcome. Sorry abou your issues. It can sometimes be very hard to find the problem and the cause of multiple symptoms, You say they did do mri, They did not see anything wrong on your mri?

Hopefully they tested for everything when you had your spinal tap not just for ms,
    If its autoimmune they have to test for that also when doing spinal tap, if they dont test for the spesific then they wont stumble on it if it is something Autoimmune,

I had multiple symptoms when my spine issue started many moons ago and only mayo found i had autoimmune issues causing a lot of the symptoms, I am not saying you have the same but if mri finding dont find anything then something to keep in mind,

Good luck and keep us updated on how things come along,

Ps; cant give medical advise on what medications you should take, only dr can giive you best info on that,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for your replies. As far as a specific diagnosis that is what I am missing :) Hopefully going to the University hospital will turn up something. I am not sure exactly what was tested for in the spinal tap but I hope for tested it for everything they could. MRi of neck and back showed a few buldging disks but the Dr said they did not appear to be protruding into any nerves. I will let you know once I find out anymore. Thanks.
  • I received my medical records today to take with me to Wake Forest University Monday. Here is what his notes were regarding my physical exam which is what he said was the red flag."Reflexes were markedly increased throughout with crossed adductor and suprapatellar reflex at the knees as well as finger spread and at least 3/4 triceps reflex in the arms. Toes were equivical, no clonus at the feet."

Does any of this mean anything to any of you? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.