Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain During Rehab

kzuikkkzuik Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hey guys. I'm new to the site and haven't searched around at all so I'm sorry if the information is already out there and I failed to follow procedure.

Anyways, for some background information, I'm a 23 year old male, about 6"2, 215lbs. I hurt my back 2 1/2 years ago lifting weights on two different occasions. I believe my lower lumbar (right side) and also toward the middle of my back, still on the right side. I don't know the proper name for that. Anyways, my doctor said my injury was the same muscle that just went up the spine. I tried physical therapy with no luck after about 2 1/2 - 3 months and he diagnosed me with chronic back pain. I was doing some stretches and some fitness ball exercises and doing knee raises on a pull-up bar and the ab-wheel to strengthen my core but still with no luck. I just ordered some books and a yoga dvd for back pain.

Down to my question, is irritation and some pain normal with a muscle strain during rehab? When I do this yoga DVD, specifically a stretch where I lay on my back and raise my butt into the air while pushing on my feet, I can really feel the muscle strain tighten and it can be slightly uncomfortable. I feel my muscle is slightly more irritated after I finish my yoga session. Is this normal or should I stay away from any exercise that I feel any irritation? Hopefully I provided enough details. Thanks guys.

• There are certain positions you shouldn't do in Yoga for some back conditions until you get x-rays and a proper assessment.

A Physiatrist(rehab. Dr.) would help also with back Rehabilitation or order any test also. Is it the rhomboid muscle he says that's bothering you?

Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Its my lower lumbar and then thorasic (sp?). I was doing a very poor exercise which consisted of standing straight up while holding a 20lb medicine ball in one hand and place my other arm straight down my side. I would bend to one side, lifting my free hand up the side of my body, then straightening back up. Horrible exercise for the core which i did when i was clueless about the weightlifting world. That hurt my lower lumbar. I couldnt lay in certain positions for a few days afterward. I can feel the irritation when i bend to the side or even bend backwards. I can feel the muscle when i do exercises like deadlifts.

For my thorasic, i believe i hurt that going too heavy doing overhead press and bending backwards too much and not maintaining correct upright posture while performing the lift.

I have gotten xrays, and they came back normal which is good. I went to physical therapy and didnt have much luck with them which is why im venturing into yoga and these new books to try other routes and do my own physical therapy.

They didnt tell me it was the rhomboid muscle, it could be.
  • I've never heard of that exercise you did with the medicine ball. But yeah, stop it ;-)

If your xrays look good then "in general" your discs are holding the correct height. It doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with them. So don't assume you are 100%. Xrays are for bones. An MRI shows discs. Unless the doctor feels the need he won't send you for one.

So if you start with the assumption that maybe you just tweaked muscles and irritated your body. Dump all the weights. If you need some resistance then try light bands. Even in Pilates when they use weights they are talking 3-5lb dumbells just to cause a little more effort to be used. In both Pilates and Yoga your own body weight is the dumbell...

As Charry noted there are Yoga positions (and also Pilates) that you shouldn't do. Honestly after doing a lot of Ashtanga Yoga. The very basic postures are fine unless you are really messed up. The ones that cause a lot of pain are very extreme and you'll know it in short order. They're complex moves that require a lot of twisting, strength, and balance. Most of them I doubt you could do. I fell all over the place just trying to learn them. Pilates also has some complex power moves.

Get some books and videos on basic movements. There is a good book that I got that is called Pilates for Men. Couldn't be any simpler. It helps build core.

Both forms help with core, breathing, posture, and balance. They also increase strength because of what you do.

If you get nowhere in several months of laying off weights and doing basic exercise. Then I'd be back at the docs office wanting him to explore further. Rehab is slow but it doesn't take forever.
  • if you are doing it on your without any consultation or without any supervision then its not good

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz