Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here ,not new to lower back pain/ surg tomorrow

LorealLLoreal Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 37 year old female. I have had back issues for 14 years.
Starting in 2003 the back pain was so severe that I was taken out of work and I stayed out of work on disability for 3 years. I have had a discogram. It showed a tear in L-4 L5. I have done numerous steroid injections, acupuncture and PT. steroid injections only helped for less then 24 hours. In 2007 I was admitted into the hospital for severe back pain radiating down my right leg and I kept falling. After an MRI it showed that I had a large grape sized herniation with nerve root impingement at L4. I ended up having a microdiscectomy at L4 and I was pretty much pain free after that.
I returned to working as a medical assistant. I had mild back pain that I could control with rest, ibuprofen and heat. Occasionally I would have to take a flexeril. On 10/25/11 I had a sharp pain in my back that dropped me to the floor in agony! I felt paralised, it took me 30 min to get myself up and in bed with ice. I stayed like that for 24 hours. The next day I was "stuck" I couldn't get out of my bed. The pain took my breath away ( and not in a good way!) I called rescue and went to the ER, was given fentanyl, flexeril, prednisone and was told to check in with my neurosurgeon. I ended up with another MRI that showed another herniation at L 4 with nerve root impingement. I am sched for a lumber laminectomy tomorrow morning. I am so nervous! But my back spasms have gotten so much worse. I currently cannot move more than a few inches at a time on my own. Phew, that's a whole lot of history! My question is about the recovery of a laminectomy. I'd love to hear other people's experience.

Thank you all!

• HI Laurie,

Welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others have gone through the same surgery. Check out the post up needs in the top of the surgery forum.

Good luck on surgery tomorrow, please post as soon as you can and let us know how your doing. Once again welcome to spine-health.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    ...the very best with your surgery. I know the pain and limitations are so totally exhausting.

I have not had surgery, but undrstand it can take awhile to heal, so be patient and gentle with yourself. I wish you an smooth surgery with a steady and sure recovery.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. by now you are in recovery and on your way to perhaps being pain free!! please follow all of your doctor's orders as this is one of the best ways to insure a complete recovery..be sure and stop by the forum when you get to feeling better!! it can make a long day go by alot faster.. also check out the "Recovering from Surgery" forum..good luck!! Jenny :)
  • So today was the big day. Arrived at the hospital at 6:45 am, in the OR at 8:15 am, surgery took just under 2 hours. And I was home in my own bed around 2 o'clock. I had been having severe back spasms for 24 hours straight prior to today, needless to say getting out of bed, showering, getting dressed and drive to the hospital was a very painful and long process. The surgery was a success ( as far as I can tell right now anyway) the back spasms are gone as well as the pain down my right leg. I am very sore, muscle -type sore near the insicion and my throat is so raw and I sound like and 80 year old man who smokes! ( from the tube they put down my throat) my husband just asked me to stop talking, lol, because hearing me talk like this makes Jim want to clear his own throat!! Haha! I'm crossing my fingers for a good nights sleep!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

• So glad to hear things went well!! I had my L5/S1 surgery on Nov 17 and was released on Nov 19 with a new disc, and the L5/S1 now in alignment...and I thought MY release from the hospital was fast!!! Wow...I can't believe you were released on the same day of surgery!!

The best thing I did, was to rent a hospital bed, so that I could get put up into the sitting mode prior to trying to get out of bed. And that has helped me immensely!

I can not beLIEVE how my surgery has changed my life...I can already walk WAY farther than I could the previous 2-3 years!!!!

I am hoping that you are doing great already too!!! What an incredible way to celebrate Christmas this year (I can actually go to the mall without a scooter!!) Merry Christmas / Happy Hanukkah!