Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Safe Gym Exercises with herniated disc

grigor1980ggrigor1980 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Exercise and Rehab
what exercises in the gym can be considered safe when I have herniated disc in the lower back?

Of course I will not do squats or dead-lifts or any excercise where I am in a standing position.
Can I do bench presses, pull-ups, sitting biceps curls with dumbells?
What about leg presses on a seated machine (you are sitting with back perpendicular to the floor and are pushing forward with the legs)?

• hi!! these are really questions you need to take up with your surgeon or physical therapist..it would be very easy to further injure your back by something we would tell you on here.. i really would suggest getting professional assistance before you start any type of serious exercise program with your back problems.. good luck and check in with us!! Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    The last thing you want to do is pick up advice from any member here on what gym exercises might be safe for you. No one here is qualified to give you that information. Even if they were a highly skilled personal trainer, they do not know you or your exact medical situation.

Only your doctor can tell you what is safe and what is not. Also many times, a good physical therapist, one that you can trust and understands your situation can provide you this information.

Disc herniation is too general and broad a condition. What might work fine for one person can spell trouble for another.

All exercises need to be approved by your doctor and fine tuned by your therapists

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com