Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy & going back to school

crysi727ccrysi727 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all!

I'm pretty new to the group. Have been reading the threads for a while now, getting information and learning about my back recovery.Everyone seems so helpful and caring of each other. :) I'm a 46 year old mom of 2 teenagers.
I have a question regarding parts of my recovery. I'm 11 days out from a laminectomy L4L5. (L2, L3 and S1 are bulged, but, not worth doing much for surgically.)
I have a barrage of meds, (Oxcodone 5mg, percocet, diazapam 5mg, methocarbamol 500 mg and cyclobenzaprine 10mg). Each is taken at different times, depending on day or night to assist with muscle spasms and sleep.
I'm due to start my next semester on the 18th of this month, which only allowed my 2 weeks to recover enough to sit in class and travel about school. The drive to college is 45 minutes on a good day.
My questions are:
Should I take my walker to & from school to assist me navigating from class to class more comfortably? Has anyone needed to do this?
Has anyone had the need to get "mobile" this quickly after surgery. I feel as though 2 weeks for a 6-8 week recovery is going to push my back to it's limits.
Any advice/stories you have would be greatly appreciated!

Hugs to all, Crysi

• Crysi,
    It is unrealistic to expect any tangible improvement over this time scale and any process that helps that recovery to come to a natural outcome is preferable. Pacing is the key, did they not explain how long your recovery would take, and this may be your only chance to recover some functionality for the future and does not need to be put in jeopardy on the basis of rushing things.

Time and rest more than anything will help, you are putting yourself under unnecessary pressure to return to some normality.

Have a trial run and equate how much you can do rather than your expectations, I had a laminectomy and subsequent fusion, as your activity level increases this may impact on your pain and sleeping patterns. I applaud your tenacity and desire in wanting to do this and those are great assets for the future. Without the support encouragement and practicality of genuine help, you may cope on those good days and many here have that experience knowledge and ideas to help you attain your goals. What are you learning !

Take care. John