Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Non Fusion

elbeboeelbebo Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a PLIF Double fusion of L4-S1 on Dec 09 I was still having a lot of pain and they implanted a spinal cord stimulator which help some. But after two years they found that the surgery is a non fusion that the hardware is loose. On top of that between L4-L5 the bone graft material that they use it has eat part of the bone and have made a denture in both vertebrate. They are recomending go thru the front remove the old bone graft material and put a new in and then flip me to the back and redu the back surgery. Do someone have any sugestion or have the surgery perform?

• sorry .but i am still suffering with the recent fusion {ALIF} 2 level .i am in pain and feel low the surgery was brutal and i needed massive amounts of pain killers post op .as i take massive amounts everyday for long standing back pain .i wont be having any more surgey on my back ,i am scared stiff about surgery now and still not sure if i made the correct decision .
    just make sure if you do need surgey .that your not having MORE than you need and you consultant is the best .i can't believe how much this fusion has knocked me on my ass and how sad/weak i feel .any spinal surgey is massive but fusions are the about as bad as it gets .so please be careful and only have the surgery if you really need it
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Sorry your still having problems.
    Although I haven't had a double fusion I have had ALIF L4-5 and revision posteriorly with instrumentation.

Like you after the first surgery I also had a non-union and loose hardware,they also offered an SCS of which I declined,I wanted to be fused first and then see if I would need it.

Surprisingly my revision surgery went easier than the first,I guess because I knew more of what to expect post surgery.

Have you had a second opinion on your revision surgery? if not I would.

Should you have any questions just PM me I would be glad to help if I can.