Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI of pelvis AND SI Joint injection scheduled

autimom4everaautimom4ever Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Had a L/S spine MRI in November - was "normal)
Pain continues...... Thinking "maybe" SI Joint problems

They tried to schedule it back to back with the SI Joint injection a day before the MRI.

I stated that I wanted to wait on the injection (since I am not reading - on here and in research) that these injections don't work so well (well, their success rate isn't great)

Also, I thought it would make more sense to see if they see anything on the Pelvic MRI before doing the Injection.

Does anyone agree or is my thought pattern wrong?

I would appreciate anyone's input (especially if you have been through all this).

• Hi,
    My original MRI showed nothing much... this was the lay down machine style.
    Then I heard about an MRI machine that you could stand and sit while the test was being done, which will show compression better.. and it sure did for me. Took me 3.5 yrs to get to this point- and finally had my dr. believing me-- that's a whole other story!
    I am not one to put up links-- but if you are interested, it is called a Dynamic MRI.. I had mine in Kamloops, BC.
    Good luck!
  • Remember that a diagnostic sacroiliac joint injection is necessary to confirm the diagnosis that the sacroiliac joint more than likely is the source of the pain. However it also worth remembering that the diagnostic sacroiliac injection the solution injected should only be an anesthetic and performed under xray. Also contrast should be used to confirm that the needle is in the joint. Then you should rate your painful area on a scale of 1-10. Typically the pain in the area that is ailing should be feel between a 0-1/10 with functional activities that make the pain worse. If positive then have it repeated for consistency. If both diagnostic injections are positive then I would recommend a cortisone injection 1-2 times in conjunction with a physical rehabilitation program. Hope this helps
    Amish R Patel DO, MPH
  • i have been in this horrid pain for over a year now. i have always complained about my si joint, especially the left side. it keeps me in pain 24/7. walking, sitting, laying, it doesn't matter - i stay in pain unless i dont move at all..which is impossible. i had si joint injections last year and did nothing..also had several sets of lumbar injections and no relief. they did a discogram and it cause insane pain and they realized my l4/l5 and l5/s1 were tore. i had a 2 level fusion. i have been in worse pain since then. i have been on pain meds and in the doctors office constantly. the last time i was at the neurosurgeons office i was told it could take a year before i felt relief. i cant have that. i made a desperate plea for my ortho to help me and he finally came to the conclusion that it is, in fact, my si joints...that which i have stated from day 1 that was hurting me so bad. of course now they hurt worse and my si joints are worse since the fusion in august. i had a pain injection shot again last week and the numbing med gave me a small decrease in pain for a few hours but the steroid never gave me any relief...at all. my ortho insists on doing ANOTHER (my 3rd) injection in the si joint to see if i get longer results. i didnt get results from it in the first place..only the numbing meds - not the steriod. what is the purpose of this? i dont have the money to keep on after having spent everything last year for nothing.
  • If the 2 separate diagnostic injections are indeed positive and you have had minimal results with the therapeutic sij injections under xray then consider the ifuse surgery.
    Amish R Patel DO, MPH