Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Non-Traumatic Discectomy (minimally invasive lumbar surgery for L5-S1 herniated disc)

pbermeoppbermeo Posts: 1

I've been told I need surgery on my L5/S1 herniated disc and am looking at the different surgery options available. I found minimally invasive laser surgery and minimally invasive surgery that does not necesarily use a laser, both sound very appealing as they claim that there is no bone or joint removal, nor any bleeding or scaring as they go in through a 5mm whole in your back.

However, there is a place in Florida and a place in Texas that have 19 malpraxis suits, so I am really scared of getting surgery at their offices.

There is a different place in LA with a Dr. with 30+ years of experience, no malpraxis, and they don't necesarily use a laser. I would love to give names just to make this easier but I see it's forbidden.

I tried to find more info on these "truly" minimally invasive surgeries, but all I find is what these same doctors have to say about their "unique" Non-Traumatic Discectomy procedures and their patient testimonials in their own websites.

Does anybody know anything else about these surgeries, where to find other doctor's reviews on them, has undergone one, or knows someone that has?

• First, I would be sure your insurance covers laser surgery. My understanding is most do not.

Second, what type of doctor are you seeing? A trained orthopedic spine surgeon or neurosurgeon will give you options that are actually covered by most insurance companies.

As for minimally invasive back surgery - what they mean is the process is minimally invasive. The surgery itself on the back is a big deal regardless of the process.

Minimally invasive means they go through a smaller incision and with technology can 'weave' through the muscles instead of cutting them. So, in theory, the recovery is faster b/c your muscles don't have as much trauma to them. The downside of minimally invasive surgery is that the surgeon is relying on equipment to 'see'. And as a result, sometimes the view is 'obstructed'.

That being said, I've had 2 Minimally invasive surgeries on the back. Surgical recovery from the incision was indeed shorter than most I know that have regular open procedures. BUT, please know that the recovery from the injury and the procedure (internal recovery) is just as long.

Anyhow, hope this helps.