Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Husband recovering from dbl neck fusion - Need Assistance

husband916hhusband916 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My husband is a 33 year old that had a double neck fusion and discectomy on October 13, 2011 on his C5 and C6 levels. About 10 years ago, he had his first of two surgeries (double discectomy and laminectomy) and then had a second surgery on his lower back on levels I4 to S1. He has a lot of scar tissue on his back and his neck doctor is wondering if this is the same with his neck. He has diagnoses of facet syndrome of lower back and neck and post-surgical neuropathy of lower back and neck. His muscles are very tense and he is in chronic pain. He is currently on percoset and opana for pain meds and goes to therapy 3 days a week. We have 2 year old twin boys (each about 21-23 lbs) and my family does not believe my husband could still be in pain after four months of surgery and is forcing him to watch the boys. He is picking them up and bending down frequently which he says is extremely painful. His current weight restriction is 10 lbs so, he is going over that. I work full time and have to provide for my family so, I don’t know what else to do. I am in need of some guidance in making my family understand my husband is in pain and is not lying to get pain meds. Thank you.

• to still have pain. Everyone is different. He could have scar tissue causing problems or just still healing. I had lower fusion and it took me a year to recover. I still have pain but that is due to scar tissue growing back around my nerves.
  • If your husband's restrictions are 10 lbs then that should be it for him! I had a ACDF at C5-C6 almost a year ago and still can not overload my left side due to muscle pain. Everyone heals in a different time frame. Scar tissue can build causing pain, too. Tell your family to let him heal. I understand how difficult it is for others without pain to understand. I find myself trying to explain my pain and it sounds like a bunch of excuses not to do anything. You have to be his advocate. Good luck!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches