Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal stenosis

Emma7EEmma7 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi everyone,

My doctor started me on Lyrica 2 months ago for nerve pain due to advanced spinal stenosis and also put me on 6 acetaminophen with codeine a day till I get to the best pain management dosage with the Lyrica. I am presently on 250mg a day. Has anyone been on the same treatment or similar, and has been able to no longer take the acetaminophen with codeine?

Thanks for your replies.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    edited 04/11/2013 - 4:39 AM
    You will soon find out just how many people here are dealing and living with Spinal Stenosis and Degenerative Disc Disease.

What would be very helpful is that if you can provide us with more of your medical situation.

- When did it all start?
    - What kind of treatments have you had?
    - What kind of diagnostic tests did you have and what were their results?
    - What are your doctor's recommendation
    - Have you had any surgery?

I've had stenosis for longer than I even want to think about. What treatment I am on is probably a lot different that what you might have or other people. Everyone is different, each case has to be examined by the doctors to come up with the right mix of medications and treatments to address a specific medical condition.

Take a look at:
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you Ron.

I'm 63 years old. At 52, my doctors retired me from my teaching career as I could no longer do anything requiring long periods of standing, and stairs were an issue also, all due to severe ankle osteoarthritis. Since then arthritic changes all over have continued to rob me of mobility.

I wear ankle foot orthotics all day, and night ones for sleeping. A year ago, I told my doctor that it had been a year that I had been having more and more difficulty walking (with a cane for 10 years). He sent me for a lumbar scan and advanced spinal stenosis and DDD was diagnosed. He started me on Lyrica, and I've just started at 300mg a day. Because he started me at 50mg a day, he also told me to take 6 acetaminophen and codeine a day till hopefully, the Lyrica would eventually kick in and be sufficient.

I've seen a neurologist who basically said he could do nothing for me but has sent me for blood tests and an EMG next week. I will be seeing a spine surgeon next month, but I will do anything to avoid surgery, especially in the back.

The spinal stenosis has me now walking with a rollator and I have numbness everywhere below the waist, but not all day.

Apart from having a brand new body,(:) ) I dream of being able to walk again more than 15-20 minutes, and to have a Lyrica dosage that enables me to get rid of the acetaminophen and codeine, and the stool softener I must take because of the codeine. That's a lot of pills!

Thanks for your reply!