Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe pain from office chairs! Help!!!!

MisheMMishe Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:00 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi. I have done office work for years, but worked from home for the last two years. At my previous job I started getting mid-upper back pain toward the last couple of years there. It was getting so severe that I asked the doc to do some tests. He ordered an MRI on my lower spine...despite me telling him it was mid-upper back pain. Not surprisingly, it came back unremarkable. After leaving that job and working from home, the pain went away completely!! I always suspected it was more likely my posture (something that I've been yelled at by teachers about since 1st grade). I can't help it though.

Now I started a new office job yesterday and 3-4 hours into it, my back started to ache. Today is only my second day and by the time I got home my pain became so severe that I felt like I would fall over, just from the weight of my neck/head! I tried to sit up straight all day and keep my knees at a 90 degree angle, but the pain is worse than EVER!!! My work chair has a deep back and arm rests that prevent me from getting closer to the computer, so I've had to lean forward mostly to get work done. I am only 5'3" and 110lbs so if I sit with my back against the back rest, by knees don't really reach the edge of the chair and I can't reach the computer. I don't want to make an issue of it bc it is a temp job (for a year) and I don't want to look 'needy'. What can I do?

Please help!!!! I took an bunch of aspirin and I'm trying to ice it down, but it only went from severe to moderate. Anyone have experience with back support devices that you can wear under you clothes? Do they work?? Any better suggestions???

• I found having my kid walk on my back does wonders!!! I wish someone could give me a better solution...but are there any repercussions that could occur from this??
  • If you can't request an occupational assessment from your employer, then you can do a little research and learn how to set-up your chair, desk and monitor yourself. Spine-Health has a really good description of this set-up.

Take care!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    before I retired. So much of that time was sitting in front of a computer to do my job.

I was involved in a joint task force, with the company I worked for, an orthopedic firm and a chair manufacturing. The objective was to come up with the perfect chair to help all spinal patients. This was in the early 80's and the chair we finally came up with did help, but was also the ugliest thing you ever saw.

The chair helped, but still I had discomfort after a number of hours. We then started to attack the workstation environment. The monitor height, placement of the mouse, etc. Again, things helped but not on the long term.

Bottom line, the ONLY and BEST way to avoid some of that discomfort and pain is to Get up and get away from the computer Stretch, walk, etc for at least 10 minutes before going back to your desk.

One last item, before I retired I worked from home for about 10 years. I think I spent longer hours then, that I did at the office. I started to use one of those large (green) exercise balls. I used that instead of a chair. Once I figure out on not falling out, the ball helped more than anything.

It forces you into the perfect posture for working on a computer. Still, you need to get up and get away from the desk time to time
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Agree 100% with swiss ball you are actually building strength while sitting. Its dynamic vs. static.
    Also a foam roller from acadamy helped behind thoracic forced you not to slouch, a little big, though. Rolled towel good also.
    Herniated T6-7, multiple herniations in cervical, tears in T5-T8. Stenois at levels and smorls nodes from thoracic thru lumbar
  • Try acupressure/acupuncture at home, and its affordable

Post Edited to remove URL. Solicitation is never permitted at Spine-Health. Please read the Forum Rules

Spine-Health Moderator Team - 03/30/12