Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 nerve root injection

thenadetthenade Posts: 137
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Chronic Pain
I am asking for your experiences with nerve root injections please and any comments. I had a MIS TLif at L4/L5 Oct/09. Continued right leg pain. Surgeon discharged me at 7 months, said everything looks good, no compression, screws in place. No mention of scar tissue, when asked he said I actually healed quite well. Ordered Emg&NVC tests showed minor chronic damage to right L5 nerve root. I have a slight foot drop and something going on in my glutes in my right leg. I can exercise them but somehow they don't want to kick in when I walk or stand. Compensating with other muscles which causes other problems. I tried epi injection(no help). My last MRI showed scar tissue abutting L5 nerve root sleeve(but not encasing). This would have been present on the MRI that the doctor reviewed at 7 months as the report said no changes had taken place since the previous MRI. My physiatrist is sending me for a L5 nerve root injection. Says may help the pain but not the weakness. To compound the picture, the MRI showed an annulus tear in the posterior central and right posterlateral position at L5/S1. I don't have as much back pain as nerve pain, so he didn't think the tear is that significant(any experiences with tears???) Thank you for any comments.

• One other thing, when I lay down, after things settle down, I am relatively without much pain. How can that be?? Is there still compression somewhere? The pain increases after about 1/2 hour upon rising and starting to move around.
  • Ok, can anyone tell me if they had any relief of pain from a nerve root injection after fusion and/or pain relief from disc tears treated with injection?
  • Sorry. I have not had any injections or blocks for scar tissue. I didn't know they could see it on MRI (wow).

I just had fantastic results from a selective nerve root block on my thoracic spine. It didn't last. I have a major tear and then some. Disc material all over the place & smorls node. The block completly numbed me for several hours.

I had the Selective Nerve Root Blocks on L4/L5/S1 before my PLIF in 2007 and they did help with my sciatic at first..... I only rember the leg was so numb I needed to be wheeled to the car and I stayed in bed all day. Second time aggravated me and my sciatic nerve pain was worse than ever until my fusion.... I stopped seeing that PM immediately after that and started seeing my current NS.

Hope that helped.

• Thank you for taking the time to post a reply. I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about nerve root injection and my quest to have less pain. Looking for personal experiences and where better than Spine Health. Just taking it one day at a time for that is all we have.
This discussion has been closed.