Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, new to the site with low back burning, tingling feet

Jumbo JetJJumbo Jet Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, a friend steered to this site to help me find some answers. I'll try and keep this as short as possible , yet describe in as much detail as I can.
I am a 39 year old male, last April (2011) I had a sports related injury that gave me a stiff neck for a few days. About a week later my left arm went numb, followed by the right arm a few days later and then a constant burning sensation in between the shoulder blades. At its worst, the numbness would go into my face and nose. I was given a Prednisone pack and I've been pretty good since.

I have refrained from doing the sport that got me injured in the first place since that day. I had a upper neck MRI and everything came back clean. Then one day in August I was laying on the couch and my feet began to tingle, it lasted for a few weeks so I went to see an Orthopedic doc who ordered a lower back MRI. MRI came back pretty clean, except for a slight bulge in my L5/S1, but he didnt think it was enough to cause the symptoms of numbness and tingling. He ordered physical therapy for 3 months, it helped some but still had tingling and bad lower back pain, stiffness and burning, with some numbness in my hips as well.

Fast forward to October 2011, went to Chiropractor and got basic adjustments for about a month and felt great. Went back to the gym to train and two days later I was numb head to toe again. Havent been back since.
December 2011, went to a Neurologist for further testing. He gave man an EMG, which I passed without a problem. He also didnt think the bulge was enough to be causing these symptoms. He requested a brain scan MRI to rule out MS, which came back normal.

Throughout this whole time I continued to do my exercises from PT but the lower back burning and tingling feet continued. I was prescribed Tazinidine(muscle relaxer to help me sleep) and a 750mg anti-inflammatory.

January 2012, went to have a Epidural injection because the burning was driving me nuts. I was more sore than ever after the injection, but I guess that was from the giant needles. After the soreness wore off I felt slightly better, but maybe only 50% better.

March 2012. Had an amazing first couple weeks of March. No pain or tingling to even speak of, and no NSAID at all for two weeks. Felt like new again. Still away from the gym and training though. Then last week I had another flare up, feet tingling again and burning lower back again, with slight tenderness and pain on the balls of my feet. I am coming up on a year of this and am beginning to get a little bummed out and down about all of this. I know I'm not 16 anymore, but this feels like its taking forever to heal, whatever this is.

Both the Ortho and Neurologist agreed that I am not a candidate for surgery, and that this should work itself out in time, but going on a year has me thinking there is worse damage somewhere. I know my body, and I know when something isn't right. I am guessing that the bulge IS causing these symptoms.

I continue to do my exercises and was going to start doing the elliptical. Funny thing for me though, I never had the shooting pains in my butt or down my legs this whole time like other describe with their Sciatic symptoms. Just the lower back burning and tingling feet. The early stages of depression are starting to show up, and I'm becoming angry at the world. I just want my life back and get back into sports again.

Looking forward to any feedback, and thanks for taking the time to read through this.