Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic diffuse Pain

clouddwellercclouddweller Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:01 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation

I am just another man who lives a limited life due to
numerous cervical,lumbar surgeries that have left me with
unbearable pain,everywhere.As many of you,I am desperate and
considering spinal cord stim.or infusion.
However,I have been told by two Medrad reps.to forget about it.
I have had it with Surgeon's bad attitudes and snide
remarks for 30 years.
Anyone out there who can say that the stim.or pump is
working with no problems? Thank you.God Bless.

• Why would rep say forget about it? If the dr recomends it the rep dont make that decision, You say you are considering the pain pump or the scs based on the dr,s opinion? Has dr offered up a trial for either 1?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,

• Every surgeon I have spoken to Mayo Clinic,Cleveland Clinic,Johns Hopkins UPMC all said stay away.
    I am the one who brings up subject since 1981!!
    Alex Hurting how can you stand the pain?I take 50mgs Methadone tablets a day...prozac/neurontin/valium/ and I still am confined to my neighborhood!Could be worse but I am fighting cancer too.
    Could be worse.True.
  • Right,nerve pain kills me too.Sorry you have it.
    both arms hands feet legs/I want to die but!
    Hang in there
  • Most cancer patients do really well with a pain pump. I have had my pain pump implant almost 2 years now and can say I no longer have pain except when I have a flare up!! My flare ups no longer are as painfull and a much shorter duration than they use to be!
    I have had no problems at all with my implant. No I am not a cancer patient but have brutal pain in both feet and legs up to my knees.
    I did try an SCS(spinal cord stimulator) a few years back but it did not work for me. All it did was tingle on top of my pain. No reduction in my pain at all. But the SCS does not work for everyone but it does work for most. The SCS is considered a succes if it reduces your pain by 50% so you are going to still be in some pain. You may be able to reduce your pain meds and again you may not.

Now, the only time I take oral pain meds is when I am having a flare up. All my flare ups are weather related and they can be brutal but they only last about 24 hours now.
    It does take time to feel total relief with a pain pump. Some as long as 6 months. The Doctor starts you out on a very low dose of either morphine or Diladuid and gradually builds your dosage up until you reach a therapudic dose. I have Diladuid in my pump. Patients is the key for a pain pump. My Doctor only gives tiny increases(10%)so it took me longer to reach my therapudic dose but it was worth the wait.

Since you are a cancer patient I am amazed your Doctor did not recommend you have a pain pump implant! I consider myself very luck to have my pain pump implant. It is wonderful not to feel pain when I wake up if I had been luck enough to get some sleep before my implant!
    As you can tell I LOVE my pain pump but so do SCS users. What is there not to love about something that reduses your pain except perhaps something eleminates ALL your pain?

Oh dear, I feel a flare up starting!! I am starting to feel pain setting in. Must be going to rain!!

Hope this helps you.
    Patsy W