I haven't been suffering as long as it seems some people on this board have, but I've been having back and sciatica pain down the back of the left leg since last June.
My pain usually comes on if I only stand or walk for more than 5 minutes. I've had to go to the ER twice if I stand or walk too long because the nerve's have become irritated and won't calm done.
I've tried physical therapy with minor results. My Doctor finally sent me to a orthopedic surgeon thinking that a possible cortisone shot may be the answer. Chiropractor did nothing, couldn't even crack my back.
While at the Orthopedic Surgeon we determined that I do have some loss of feeling on my left foot and some various other places on my leg. I can feel pressure but when he ran a spur over it I didn't feel any poking. I also have hyperreflexia in my legs but after doing an EMG they have detected that was probably just normal for me.
After taking X-rays the dr found that I have genetic spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis. After doing an MRI it was determined that I am at 50% slippage so technically still a Grade 2.
The dr gave me 2 options. Can live with it and just manage the pain or have surgery, put a new disc in from the front and push the vertebrae back into place and then flip me over and fuse it from the back (Not sure if that is the same as a 360 fusion or not.)
As I can't even coach for soccer this spring I am seriously thinking the surgery but feel that I am being smart by just wanting a second opinion which I can get into see until the end of May.
Last Saturday all I was doing at supper was grilling burgers and my back flaired up so bad that after 3 hours of trying to get it to calm down my wife took me to the ER where they gave me some pretty potent pain medicine. My back has still been pretty irritated since and feels like there is a nail being pounded into my spine by my lower back/butt area.
I am having a difficult time managing work and family life with this. Today I was only able to work half a day and had to go home because my lower back was just throbbing. It has still been sore since Saturday and my lovely 5 year old oppositional defiant girl decided that this morning wasn't the proper time to go to school and I had to have drag her carry her out of the house to the car.
With all of this pain lately end of May seems like a long, long time away. Should I just forgo the second opinion and schedule the surgery?
Thanks for reading my long winded message.