Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doctor Shopping

chuckiecchuckie Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Management
Can someone please educate me on doctor shopping? I believe that I was red flaged the other day. Being a year new to pain meds. I didn't know that this existed. I went to a new doctor the other day who was recommended to me. I bought my new MRIs to this doctor. The receptionist noticed that I had another doctor last year on my information. I was in a great deal of pain and at the end of my appointment asked the doctor for something for my pain until I saw my pain management doctor in two weeks. He asked me the doctors name and I told him. He gave me a script for demoral for two weeks. Is my experience considered a red flag by doctors?

• Do you currently have a doctor, either a pain management doctor, surgeon or your GP (primary) who is writing your current pain medications? If you do, and you did not tell them that you were switching doctors, and then got a prescription from the new doctor, then you did indeed doctor shop- ie, getting narcotic prescriptions from more than one provider. I am curious , did you run out early? If you have been being treated for pain for a year, then you should be aware by now, that you are only supposed to get opiate medication from your pain management doctor/surgeon/gp- which ever one is currently treating your condition. Getting a new prescription from another doctor, without the consent of your current treating physician can result in your being red flagged , in the pharmacy, with your doctors, and even your insurance company.
    Did you sign a pain management contract with your current doctor? Most pain medication prescriptions are written out for a 30 day period, which means that you should have had enough meds for 30 days before running out, unless you are a new patient. In some cases, then a pm doctor will only write for two weeks in the event that the medication doesn't work well or needs to be changed due to side effects, then after the correct dosage or medication is determined, the followup prescriptions are for 30 day periods.
    I am also confused because you said this doctor was new to you, meaning that this was a new patient visit but that the receptionist noticed that you had a different doctor last year...so was this a consult with a completely new doctor or a reconsult with a previously seen doctor? And did you notify your pm doctor that you were given a new prescription for dilaudid?
  • Them seeing that a person was treated by another dr last year is not the problem,

Many of us get 2 nd or even 3 rd opinions from other ortho or neuro dr,s about what maybe can be done for our condition, That part is not dr shoping!

But if you already have a dr who is treating you for pain control then there is no reason to ask another dr for pain meds,

Even when i run out my pain dr will call in a refill as long as they know i have another appointment set up to come in in the near future,

So why did you just not ask for a refill from the dr who you have a follow up appointment with in 2 weeks? If you go over the regular dr,s head who is taking care of your medications then he could simply cut you off because you geting medications from someone else,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I didn't say seeing a new or previous doctor for a consultation was doctor shopping, but seeing the new consult and getting them to prescribe the pain med is. Contract or ot, getting controlled substances from more than one prescriber for the same condition is doctor shopping and can result in the dismissal of the patient.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    be bad when it is used for the wrong reasons. Just the word 'shopping' gives you the impression that it is wrong.

There is nothing wrong when we seek 2nd or 3rd opinions regarding our situations. There are times when our problems have not been identified, so that a treatment plan may be very difficult to establish.

However, IF we seek another doctor because
    - We dont like the answers that were given
    - We want more medications
    then it is wrong.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You should be fine as long as you have no concurrent opiate prescription. When I first got Injured and was doctor-hopping(hopping not shopping) trying to figure out what was wrong with me, I too, got prescriptions from a couple different doctors before I found a good general practitioner to see regularly.

Now he is the only one that prescribes me pain medicine and I would never get it from anyone else unless it was from my PM and my Primary doc was notified.(or in the ER of course)

So as long as you dont start getting multiple prescriptions from multiple doctors at once you should be fine. But I would not make this a habit, as you could be redflagged and dismissed as a junkie if you continue this for too long.
  • Kathy12KKathy12 Posts: 1
    edited 08/14/2014 - 10:00 AM
    My pain management doctor has cancelled a few appointments with me each time she has I went to my family doctor for a prescription for the same medication that my pain management doctor gives me. Each doctor knows about the other. It is also 30 days between each prescription. Now my pain management doctor will not give me my prescription. She said I was Doctor Shopping. Am I ?
  • You are............the contracts state that you are not to obtain prescribed pain medications from any other doctor , other than your pain management doctor. She /He could have written out your prescriptions for you to pick up if she/he cancelled your appointment or rescheduled your appointment, so by going to your primary and obtaining prescriptions, you did in fact doctor shop.

• sandi said:
    You are............the contracts state that you are not to obtain prescribed pain medications from any other doctor , other than your pain management doctor. She /He could have written out your prescriptions for you to pick up if she/he cancelled your appointment or rescheduled your appointment, so by going to your primary and obtaining prescriptions, you did in fact doctor shop.
    Agreed, my PM doctor has cancelled my appts two or three times in the past year. Each time I was called by the doctors office and told to pick up my prescription at the front desk since we would be exceeding my 30 day prescription. No big deal in that case.
  • This is a big concern I moved 3 times (over 200 miles) in the last six years and obviously changes pain doctors.  This last doctor who I found from my insurance list is not working out. I am afraid to seek a new doctor because of this doc shop stuff.  This PM Dr. did tell me he does not believe in narcotics suggested that "you may as well go by some heroin on the street."  He told me to get surgery and sent me to a surgeon who happens to share the same office at a different location. My primary care told me not to get surgery, I do not want or trust surgery until I am at the point where I cannot walk then it may work.  After receiving steroid injections with little relief as has been the case for the last 11 years he brought up surgery and or a spinal simulator.  I declined,  his response was  you have arthritis and do not need pain medication but NASIDS .  Then why was he pushing surgery?  Now what  do I do about getting a new doctor without running into the same of being labeled a shopper.

He did give me Nyucnta at the first visit which caused a reaction of chest tightening and shallow breathing not to mention it got me very dizzy on the first pill.  Then gave me norco 10 mg which mad me dizzy I returned to him with the full bottles the then kept the medication.I requested duladid 2mg
    which I had been prescribed for the last year, he gave me Oxy 5 mg I do not want to take it do not like the side affects. Either way he will not give me anything he want me to have surgery.