Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In agony when walking or standing

dee213ddee213 Posts: 5
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but not new to the pain we all share. A little history: I had my first experience with sciatica in August 2010. I had a backache one day but nothing too terrible. I went to bed and woke up with agonizing pain in my butt and down my left leg. I had a friend drive me to the er and I was diagnosed with sciatica. I was working as an inventory manager in a big box store. I was on my feet 8 hours a day on a cement floor with some lifting and climbing ladders. I was fired from this job in December 2011 for unexcused absences because of the constant flare-ups of pain.

I've had several flare-ups since the first time. I've had xrays and a CT scan and was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine, spinal stenosis and degenarative disc disease. Sciatica came back with a vengeance about a week and a half ago. Went to the doctor 2 days ago and I have no reflexes in my left foot. She prescribed ibuprofen 800mg, Flexeril and the prednisone med pack. Which I will start today, but I'm kind of freaked out about the side effects.

I'm 60 years old and I live alone. Whenever I have to walk to the kitchen, bathroom, etc. the pain is unbearable. I bought a cane which helps, and walking in the stores was horrible. But, I had no choice, had to get my meds and some other things.

So, finally my question! I've read and heard that walking is good for sciatica, but it's so painful. Should I avoid walking as much as possible, or keep going and hope it helps?
advertisement

Comments

• I recommend an inversion table,

Glucosmaine complex, lots of water and deep abdominal breathing exercises,

for pain try and get an electric heat pad, it will help the circulation in the area and relieve pain,

the inversion table might not be suitable at this stage,

and if that is the case look into a device that will help stretch your back,

they are waist belts that have a pully you attach to a door hinge....you then pull on the pully and it helps decompress your spine....

it will bring you relief....

medications do not cure spinal conditions....

so in my opinion we have to use mechanical devices to help the spine heal...

the prednisone will help the inflamation....

but when it wears off the pain may be worse....

because drugs destroy tissue at the same time....

fish oil is also good....

natural remedies are good because they don`t have serisou side effects...

they help the body heal itself....

heat pads are almost as good as drugs for pain releif.....

no risks there....

eat fruits and veggies to lower inflammation...
    Live to Pray
  • Hi Dee,
    Welcome to sh it's great to have ya hear, but not great you are in pain.

What plan did you and your doctor make. If your okay with the plan then follow it or perhaps get another opinion.

This is great site so read around and always consult your doc. Before trying anything you read here or online.

There are just some things that work for some and not others.
    Perhaps your doctor can recommend some type of mild exercises for you.
    I find yoga and warm water exercises to keep stretching and basic core exercises.
    So many days are just worse off and maybe on those days I don't do as much.
    Walking yes is good but if it's causing more pain. Please consult your doc before trying anything.

Welcome and please read the forums and stop in chat sometime.

Try and do things that you can do. Pain can be overwhelming on many days, and you can get into depression, just try your best to keep busy.
    You will find many great support ppl on here.
    Just remember we share our stories and we are not doctors, just saying things that works for us.

again welcome
    >:D<
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Hi Mary,

Thank you for your reply and kind words. :) It's so nice to know that others understand this pain. If you haven't experienced it, you can't imagine it. I tell friends and family remember the worst toothache you ever had and then imagine it goes from your butt to your foot.

My doctor gave me exercises to do, but I can't do them yet. I have to lie on the floor and I'd never get up. I'd be like those women in the medical alert commercials :))( She says I need PT and an epidural, but I don't have insurance so they are not options. She also said I should stay active but that's not possible now.

I'm not depressed yet, I have great support from my daughter and best friend. I get frustrated because I can't do what I want to do. I can't shower right now, do laundry, dishes, etc. I dread the walk to the bathroom. My husband is in a nursing home from suffering 2 strokes and I haven't been able to visit him for awhile.

The prednisone seems to be helping a little and I'm hopeful it will help alot as I take it. She also prescribed ibuprofen but I don't know if its ok to take it with the prednisone. I've read conflicting opinions about that. But, would she prescribe it if its not a good idea? I've been icing and that helps a little. First chance I get I'm buying memory foam.

That's all for now.

Thanks again, Mary -
    Dee