Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Melissa_N79MMelissa_N79 Posts: 6
Hi my name is Melissa. Just some history, in 94 when I was 14 and on my way to a basketball tourney with my school team I was in severe car accident as a result of a drunk driver. I was in the hospital/rehab center for a month and was in a wheel chair/cain for a year post accident. I suffred from a blood clot that almost took my life and a severly broken left femur. It also caused back pain/buldge and we found out at age 15 I had start of disk digeneration disease in my lower back-honestly I don't know the location, I think it is L4-L5.S1.

Two and half years ago the sciatic pain in my right leg started and I started seeing an Ortho Surg. They put me in PT, started me on Neurontin and vicodin. The Neurtontin helped pretty good, but it put me into anxiety hell and sent me in the constant shakes. She switched me to Lyrica and the same thing happened. NSAIDs and Cortozone shots/steriods are not an option for me. I have constant peptic ulcers and have been hospitalized for internal bleed as a result of them. So the only thing I can do for inflamation is ice.

My sciatic pain was just a sharp pain down my buttocks to my foot, usually just loacalized to the buttocks/hip and back of thigh. Then last Feb. I slipped on the step to my garage and fell in the seated position onto the step. I thought I was fine until the next day I found I bruised my coxial/tail bone and I started to get burning sciatic pain down my left leg. This would only occur since then less then handful of times and my right sciatic pain intensed. It was alway one or the other, never bilaterially. They repeat the MRI and found I had developed a annular tear, most likely from the fall, since the previous MRI a year prior.

Well, about a month ago my husband and I was having some "quality" time, and nothing fancy either, and I felt something pop and pain sharp pain shooting down my right leg. Since then I have been in h*ll. My symptoms have deterioted immediatly to such severity. I now have numbness in my right thigh, back of calf and foot, hot sharp pain in the side of my thigh, muscle spasms in my inner right thighand my foot and leg is sharp charlie horses. The pain in my lower back in off the charts. Not only do I have the numbness/tingling feeling if you touch my leg it feels like the nerves going to my skin go on rapid fire. On top of this, I know how bilaterial pain and my left leg, the back of the thigh is numb and feels like it is on fire and numbness tingling in my foot. Both feet on the bottom has the feeling of hot knives being poked into it. I am meseriable. Sleep is not an option. Either I am up all night with 2-3 hrs of sleep or I am waking up several times at night, even with taking Ambien.

I already had my reg. schedule appointment scheduled for the day after memorial day and just got my refill on my pain meds 7.5/500 Lortab and Zanaflex. She had just decreased me from 6 pills a day to 4 a day and I didn't want to seem like I am addacit so I didn't call for more pain meds but did call to have request for another MRI so I can have the results there when I go in in a little over a week. I just had the MRI done Thursday.

I am worried about these new symptoms and I may have damaged my nerves serverly from this. I do not know how much longer I can funcation like this. I have to work and I work a highly stressful job and work usually 9-12 hours a day. My commute is awful. My commute is anywhere 1-3 hrs oneway everyday due to traffic. I am the type, I won't let anything get me down or control my life, but I am at my breaking point. Again, injections are not an option for me. With my ulcers it will kill me. I had .5 cortozone injected into my ankle legment back in October and went into a terrible flare 3 days later with white searing pain in my abdomen. Not an option.

• I have been DX with disk degenrative disease, spinal bone spurs (arthritis), annular tear and stenosis.
  • I have been DX with disk degenrative disease, spinal bone spurs (arthritis), annular tear and stenosis.
  • HI,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many others with your same issues. I would suggest also that you read up on degenerative disc disease as most think it is a disease of sorts but it is not really. It is just a disease of that individual disc and the other disc could be fine.

You could go to the place you had the mri and pick a copy up and see if there is anything urgent, that it says. But other than that, doesn't sound like there is much you can do, except to wait and see what the results are.

I hope you know the risk that come with taking to much of your pain meds, without the permission of your doctor. Some do it unknowingly to only suffer the consequences of being kicked out of pain management. So be sure to ask your doctor first. The good news is this is a holiday week coming and so hopefully you will have a extra day to rest. I don't envy anyone who might sit 6 hours in a car in day that is for sure. You might also ask your doctor for a ten's unit, sense you can't use roids of any kind. Besides the lyrica there is also cymbalata that has been approved for back pain, so something to think about, if the others where making you nervous.

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how your appointment goes and what they find on the MRI.
  • Hi Tamtam,

Thank you for the welcome! I really appreciate it.

I am very familiar with DDD. Going on 17 years with having it, it is more breakdown of the disc typically due to time and use. It not getting enough oxygen. I was dx at 14 yo with it, so it caused concern at that time with me being so young. Being as it hasn't really caused to much of an issue until the past 2.5 years, I am glad. There are only two disc effected. I still research as much I can, and this is a great site!

Just for clarification, I have not taken my meds other then prescribed. I just didn't want the doctor to think I was drug seeking by stating over the phone, at this point the meds are doing jack for me. I would rather see her in person for evaluate my current state. I could have tried for a sooner appointment but she would request for the MRI and I would have to come back. That is why I went the MRI route and handling the pain with meds as prescribed and my ice packs.

CYMbalta is not an option, rare side effect is peptic ulcers. Go figure. Yeah sucks. The tens unit is interesting. What would it do for me theuropetic wise? I had a unit for a while for my leg after my accident.

I have my films already from the MRI, I will call the imaging center to see if I could get a copy of the Rad MD report.

Thank you again for the welcome!