Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help...severe sciatic pain

Hopefully, i can get help here. I have had sciatic pain for almost 2 months. I went to the hospital the first time because my lower back above my buttcheeks started get pain in my right leg under mu buttcheek down the back of my thigh, behind my right knee and into my right calf. It hurt so bad i could not twist or bend or lie down. The diagnosed me with a pinched sciatic nerve. They prescribed me tylenol 3. About three weeks later, that pain lessened, but i started getting stabbing pains under my right cheek down the back of my thigh, behind my knee into my calf. Then for a week it was all tolerable. About three weeks ago i sat down in my car to drive to work and i got a pain so sharp, i screamed. Now my back is better, but my leg pain is so bad, i can not sit down AT ALL for longer than about 30 seconds. Its unbearable. Pain meds are not helping at all. The only time im pain free is if im flat on my back. I have pins and needles in my right heel and my pinky toe is numb.
I went back to the hospital yesterday because i tried to drive and almost got in an accident because i could nit lift my foot off the gas peddle. My mom drove me to emergency cause i had to lay in the passeger seat with it all the way back. At the hospital, they would listen to anything i told them. The doc said do exercises and go to physio and gave me t3 again. I tried telling her ive tried exercises but pain is too much, but she cut me off numerous times.again i tried to tell her about tge numbness and what happened when i tried to drive. Again she cut me off...poked at my back and buttocks and when i winced in pain she said yup s1 then walked away. I was speechless. 5 minutes later a nurse comes in with two t3 and papers to go to physio, then tell me doc said to go online and look for stretches to do... Had she not cut me off so much and listened to me trying to tell her im in so much pain i can hardly so anything.
So, im wondering if anyone has been in that situation and can suggest anything. I know physio would help, but with my hours at work being cut back because of me nit being able to do my job properly i can not afford the two times a werk she wants me to go and o.h.i.p does not cover.im at the end of my rope

• It's been my experience that Tylenol is worthless, especially when it comes to nerve pain. I don't think doctors really get that. Keeping up your strength is vitally important. Even through pain. Physical therapy is something you are absolutely going to have to do to get anywhere though. You can work with them. Even if you go once a week and they give you exercises to do at home...it's something you have to check off your list for a Dr. to take your problem seriously and it's part of being pro-active to trying to help. If it starts making your pain worse then it's ok to quit, but you'll have to try it. If PT doesn't help then you'll have an MRI to find out what's going on. Many times, doctors will insist you to try a round of physical therapy first to see if that helps alleviate any of your symptoms and then have the MRI, then depending what it says refer out for further treatment.

I have to be honest though, there is no easy answer. I'm 28 and have 2 back surgeries and am currently still living with chronic sciatic pain. It's just a situation that's really hard to get out of...but you need to get into a system of treatment rather than going to the ER. It's a slow, and very painful process, but one we have to endure.

Depending on who your Dr is they may prescribe pain medications but many are skeptic to write for narcotics these days. But they should write for neurotin, lyrica, cymbalta, etc. for the nerve. One thing I have to use regularly is a TENS unit. It doesn't provide 100% relief to my sciatic pain at all, but it does help some. These you can order online reasonably. Look on Amazon or just google tens units and there'll be a number of options.

Hope this helps. Most important is that you start seeing a consistent Dr. so someone is really tracking how this problem persists for you. Diagnosing you with a pinched sciatic nerve isn't going to get you anywhere because you need to get to the root of what's causing that through diagnostic tests and you need to start being medicated beyond Tylenol. Good luck to you! Ice packs on your cheek also help calm things down a bit, I have to do that before bed just to relax enough to fall asleep.