Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

IDD for DDD?

Im hoping I can get some advice/help here. My son went for his sports physical for school two weeks ago. He wanted to wrestle in his Jr. year after running cross-county/track for the first two years in HS. During the physical, the doc asked him if he had any pain. He told the Doc that his lower back bothered him sometimes. An Xray was taken and the doc saw it and said he wanted to order an MRI. The MRI shows DDD in L4-L5 and L5-S1. The discs in those areas show up dark instead of white. The assumption is he must have injured himself somewhere along the way. He loves to lift weights, does karate and played football and wrestling in grade and Jr. HIgh School. He was devastated to learn that he shouldn't/can't wrestle. The Doc showed the MRI to an Orthopedic and Physical Therapist. They want to see him in 2 weeks to more than likely, start PT. In the meantime, I took him to a dR. yesterday that has his own practice. In addition to the PT, he recommends IDD (Intervertebral Differential Dynamics) therapy. I started reading about that today. According to him, it is not covered by insurance which, I really don;t care - I just want to do the right thing by my kid. Has anyone here had IDD done? Success or no? Also, my son wants to go back to running track. The Doc told us he can't run track (or do much else) during the IDD therapy. He said the therapy is not a cure, it;'s a treatment. Im just devastated over this diagnosis! Im so afraid of what he's in for, especially at such a young age. I have so many questions and the more I read, the more upset I get. Im trying to keep a positive attitude for his sake. I just don;t know what to do for him right now. I don; tknow what activities he should or shouldn;t participate in right now or in the future. Ive stopped him from weight training right now but I also read that movement is good. What do I do?
David Andreotti

• Exactly what you are doing. See the doctors, multiple if necessary, get their opinions and do whatever you think is best.

I am 32 and had back pain for years( since I was your son's age ), appx 2 years ago the disc herniated. I dont know for sure but I think I have had the DDD for a long time. Didnt know it.

As a teenager I stacked hay, then went on to a machine shop where I still work now. I have punished my back IMMENSELEY!

Hopefully this is a case of knowing the problem and being able to manage it throughout his whole life. Maybe by knowing it he can avoid herniation. I am sure dead lifting is out, but I think there is a good chance that he can still be active & athletic
    ( with caution )

Sorry, i dont know anything about IDD, other posts in the forum may help.

All you can do is limit his activities until the docs tell you whats OK and whats not. I am sure it is gonna feel like forever for him, but thats all you can do. Keep your head up! and good luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!