Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A discussion on spinal decompression

I am starting this thread to start a discussion on spinal decompression.
I've been reading some topics on this website and there seem to be quite a few differing opinions on spinal decompression.

It seems like an easy, miracle cure. Get strapped to a table that gently pulls your back apart for 30 sessions and you are cured. Why would anyone ever want spine surgery again? There is a clinic in my home city that has 12 decompression tables running non stop all day long. Their ads are all over local TV with testimonials of the patients being healed.
They use the Triton DTS and an external laser. One would think if this was a total scam they'd be busted within a year with hundreds, if not thousands of dissatisfied patients.

The problem is these clinics want $5000 for a treatment--yikes! I did some research and found I can buy the table for $10,000.00. I could treat myself and one family member and made it worth the investment. When the tables were 100k I could understand the need to charge $5,000 per patient, but it makes no sense to pay someone for treatment when the device is only 10k.

Anyway, I would like to hear positive and negative responses to spinal decompression.
I'd like to hear opinions about the Triton DTS, Accuspina, DRX, and any other popular table being used.
I'm trying to make a decision this week as to whether or not I should purchase one for myself.
And, where could I find a used decompression table?

• Peter:

I underwent the treatment as a last resort. My experience with Chiro's has caused me to have somewhat of a negative opinion regarding Chiro's, but my wife convinced me that I should give it a try. I did. The standard treatment program (two months as I recall) was about $5K. My condition/pain never improved.

The Chiro was convinced that the machine would work so he continued my treatment program at no cost for another 6 weeks - still with no improvement. Finally, he told me that he could no longer afford to provide the treatment and I was glad as it poked big holes in several of my days and the outcome did not manifest itself.

One thing I have learned in this life as a spiney is that one should explore all options, with surgical intervention as the last resort. I have done so. But, spinal decompression did not work for me because of the condition of my spine. I had grade 1 spondy and two degenerated discs (beyond salvage). There was virtually no chance for decompression to help, but we both gave it a try.

The event was financially beneficial for the Chiro, but it was also professionally disappointing for him. For me it answered a question and gave me direction. I am a "tight wad" with money and I am somewhat fearful of surgery. However, when I pulled my head out of the sand and honestly evaluated my situation it became evident that I needed a spinal fusion. I had just paid out-of-pocket close to $5K for a back pain treatment that did not work. Hello Jim; there really is something wrong with your spine and you have tried all interventions short of surgery, so now go consult with a surgeon. I did.

I don't know if the spinal decompression treatment works. I do know that it did not work for me. Perhaps a consult with an ortho could provide accurate guidance.

Either way - good luck.

• Peter MacPPeter Mac Posts: 3
    edited 11/02/2012 - 9:48 PM
    Have you considered stem cells? If spinal decompression doesn't work then I'm opting for stems cells in my discs.
    I would definitely never get a fusion--ever.
    In Europe they have a saying in orthopedics--REFUSE TO FUSE!

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • trussottrusso Posts: 1
    edited 02/14/2013 - 12:13 PM
    When I went for spinal decompression, I was fine until it was over. When my back recompressed, I was in paralyzing pain and could not leave the office for 30 minutes with ice on my back. The same results occurred two more times that week. I would never do it again and the chiro would not do it again.
  • I did spinal decompression on a DRX 9000. It gave me a tiny bit of relief, got me through till I had surgery. I dont think it was worth the out of pocket cost, $3000+ prepaid.

I also did a few more sessions on a different machine, along with cold laser at another chiro. Dont think it was worth it.

Thing is, I talked to a few people that did the DRX 9000 treatments and they were still pain free 10 years later. Just like everything else, some things work for certain people not all. Kind of stinks there isnt a miracle cure.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Some treatments work for some, do nothing for others. Honestly, this has been 10 of about hundreds of members indicating they got relief from the DRX9000.

When you break the components down and what it actually performs, it really is a glorified hyped up traction machine.

I had a Physical Therapist and a Medical professional show me the details behind the DRX9000 and traction units. There are many bells and whistles on the DRX and it is definitely easier to use for the therapist and 'could' be more comfortable for the patient. But once they demonstrated the actual workings of the unit and then went over to a standard traction unit, they didnt have to say a word to me. - Same thing

But again, if it works, use it
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hello, I'm brand new to this sight and I wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I've tried so many treatments from physical therapy to spinal epidural injections for my condition. (DDD, herniated discs at L3,L4L5, facet disease). My chiro has been trying to get me to do decompression therapy but I've been putting it off because of the enormous out of pocket expense. The fact that insurance companies don't cover the treatment told me that it's effectiveness is sporadic. I don't know what to do except cry at this point.
    Herniation at L3, L4, L5. DDD, facet disease, foraminal narrowing and mis-aligned pelvis.
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    edited 04/14/2013 - 1:03 PM
    If you want to try decompression with little cost try an inversion table. I bought one for$100. Tried it multiple times and found it didnt work for me. Returned it was out $0.00 not thousands. Just my 2 cents.

I am not a Dr an am not giving medical advice. Try this at your own risk I did.