Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need words of wisdom from the back pain world

Well went to another doctor yesterday to go over my MRI and the informed me that I have Degenerative arthritis of lumbar spine with cord compression Narrowing of spinal canal and the I also have Low back painSlipped vertebra of backbone so they ordered the surgery to fix my L4-L5 and sometime next week I will know my surgery date and uuhhh I just feel like it is moving sooo slow and I would love to be able to walk normally again and then I have friends telling me that it might be time to file for disability because I have to continuously have to take off from work and work is not helping because they keep wanting to know when and all I can tell them is they have to wait til I get more information and I know this all I can do for now and I have been dealing with the pain for 6 years of my life and If i don't get surgery it will only get worst. I am just looking for so words of wisdom and what to expect so if anyone out there know about this surgery or issue I am going through, I would love to hear your story

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    I feel that since I've been dealing with spinal problems since I was 28 (now 61ish closing in on 62), I can suggest various scenarios that I went through.

I was working for IBM when I had my first spinal surgery in 1978. During the next 35 years with IBM, I had an additional 6 spinal surgeries and had multiple times out of work due to flare ups. Then from 2005 until I retired in 2009, I was on 6 different short term disability absence. totally all my timw out work, came to more than 5 years!

Many times the question about going out on permanent disability came up. I choose not to take that route. For me,
    getting up, doing whatever I needed to do to continue working was my first priority. Near the end, when I was no longer able to commute and work everyday, I spent the last 10 years of my career working from home and only going into the 'office' once a month.

Problems with L4/L5 seem to be the most seen with spinal patients. I've always wanted to do or get research to explain why? Talk to you doctor about the surgery. Ask about the Pro's and Con's. The more you know about the surgery they
    are suggesting, the better off you will be in terms of making decisions.

I know it is not easy, but unfortunately for so many of us, nothing is really easy anymore
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.