Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fish Oil For Neck Pain

Has anyone had any positive outcomes for Fish Oil with relieving pain and inflammation? There is some research which suggests that supplementing with higher doses of EPA and DHA fish oil can in fact reduce inflammation over time. I have started this regimen and am wondering if anyone has any experiences they may offer here with this. Please share and thanks.

• Impossible to say, for me.
    Firstly, neck pain varies almost hourly depending on activities etc.
    Secondly,any benefits from the oil would be very gradual, so how would you be able to notice anything, as you get attuned to how you are.
    Also, diet, muscle tone, sleep and so on all play a part.

I take fish oil most days with a swag of other supplements, but have no idea if any of them help. You do research, buy quality, and hope!
    We are all so different, so what works for one may not for another.

My neck gets sore from stress when the muscles tense. Had a case just now when I'd spent a lot of time online researching washing machines.
    After a few days of that we spent the day out, bought a machine and other stuff. But the next day I received the bill-a very sore neck.
    Then on the same day our cat brought a venomous snake inside, and we couldn't catch it. Eventually had a snake catcher do it.
    So that was good for my stress levels!

I know now that muscle tension is my prime cause of neck pain. Years ago I was diagnosed with tight neck muscles, and that was traced to my back. Massage provided immediate benefit, but the cure came from taking a high dose of magnesium chloride.

You might want to look at what might be aggravating your neck, and PC/ electronics are at the top of the list.
    Check pillow for support, Don't lie on couches etc. Try to observe what you do to your neck.
  • Yes ofcourse all of your advice is sound and thanks for sharing. The point here is that inflammation whether from the muscles, tissues, ligaments, bones, or discs of the neck plays a substantial role in the pain. I am hoping that some people can give me some positive experiences with higher doses of fish oil so please continue the thread.

Also, the key is to log your pain and activities along with medication to find relative patterns to your pain. Also, fish oil must be taken in higher doses for people like us with substantial neck pain issues.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    is to contact your doctor and discuss this with them. There are so many OTC supplements that have so many different claims. Some are beneficial, some really do not make much of a difference.
    Some of the more popular OTC
    - Omega 3 Fish oil
    - Life Extension ArthroMax w/Theaflavins
    - Co Q-10
    - Apple Cider Vinegar
    - Glucosamine/ Chondroitin
    - etc

I have take each of these at one time or another. I have reviewed them with my doctor. The two that seem to always come up as positive are the Co Q10 and Omega Fish Oil.

Since I have to deal with a lot of joint inflammation, I've checked into so many different simple items. ArthroMax w/Theaflavins has seemed to help me the most regarding my Arthritis condition.

Bottom line, always discuss any supplement with your doctor.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can tell you I was using fish oil as a supplement to help with inflammation along with vitamins B and D. I had to have a myelogram done, and was called about which medications I used. Interesting enough, they had me stop the fish oil as it is a blood thinner. So yes it can be healthy for you, but as Ron said check with your doctor for appropriate doses on which ones you should be using. The vitamin D and B are both prescribed, along with some other supplements.

Also one important note is that FDA does not regulate vitamins so be sure to do your homework on which ones have been tested and verified of the truth in labeling.
  • Thanks for the replies. I understand that checking with the doctor is important and I also realize that fish oil thins the blood as do the anti-inflammatory NSAIDS.

The point of this thread is for those who have had positive experiences from fish oil to post how it was positive for neck pain and neuropathy pain. What dosage did you take?, How long before it worked? etc.

Please continue sharing any positive experiences regarding pain relieving effects from fish oil.

Thanks again.
  • Why do you only want positive results? What help would that be to anyone wanting to know about fish oil. I would think that all results good or bad should be reviewed. If all you want is positive results, then you obviously do not want anyones opinion unless it follows your opinion that fish oil can only be good for you and this has already been stated that it can be bad leading into surgery.
  • DaffydolphinDaffydolphin Posts: 98
    edited 12/16/2012 - 2:03 AM
    Three years ago on orders from my PCP and Cardiogist, I stopped all NSAIDs.

In consultation with PM and PCP plus a lot of Internet research I started taking daily
    Osteo Bi-Flex 3x with S-Loxin & D3 twice a daypack
    Schiff Mega Red Krill Oil 300mg once a day
    Turmeric, 450mg once a day
    Even on sale, these run over $35/month. Retail around $60
    I also drink 2 cups of coffee per day and when not water, I drink ginger ale

It's only been 4 months, but yes, I think it is helping.

My PCP and research stressed staying with established name brand supplements, taking a variety of natural anti-inflamatories, not a lot of just one, and staying far away from any calling itself an oral steroid,

I update my PCP, PM, Cardiologist and two surgical practices anytime I alter my OTC supplements.
    If your PCP says it is okay, add one Aleve per day.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • maherman1984mmaherman1984 Posts: 7
    edited 12/16/2012 - 2:32 AM
    Gary, the point is that with positive results I am looking for the dosage and effect there of. Many times people will claim that a supplement or medication does not work b/c of improper dosage and inability to stick with it for some time. Also, my opinion is not that it can only be good for you as I already stated that it does thin your blood a concern only if going into surgery or an invasive procedure and not necessarily a bad thing just because it thins your blood as with that comes positive cardiovascular results.

DaffyDolphin, thanks for your input. I would suggest staying away from coffee with cervical stenosis as it restricts your blood vessel flow and with stenosis keeping strong blood flow is of critical significance so that nutrients can be delivered to tissues, ligaments, discs, etc. Coffee is therefore problematic. Many of the other supplements are also good for combating inflammation but in my opinion your dosage for Kirill Oil seem rather low and not sufficient enough to yield antiinflammatory benefits. Just my opinion but I appreciate you sharing your regimen.

As for myself, I have started a high dosage of fish oil of about 1.8 grams a day combined EPA and DHA and after two weeks I do realize some improvement in neuropathic pain.

Please continue with your fish oil experiences. Thanks again.
  • larjo4llarjo4 Posts: 1
    edited 12/17/2012 - 5:26 AM
    The properties of the EPA and DHA help combat swelling in joints and arthritis pain.

• I had never heard of CoQ-10 until just recently and for those of you who
    have taken it any bad side effects? The Doctor who told me to use it said
    it can cause problems for you where you already experience muscle and joint
    I have also read in a popular medical magazine, a heart Doctor said that fish oil is not
    absorbed well by
    the body and it is better to eat fish. But for a lot of us it is hard and
    expensive to eat fish three times a week.
    Sorry I was not much help.