Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible reherniation 11 days post microdiscectomy

I'm 11 days post l4-5 Microdiscectomy. I've had tingling in toes since surgery. Dr told me to walk so I went to baby store with my mom and 8 month old. Ended up being on my feet for 2 hrs. Did not pick anything up, bend, etc but haven't been good since. Having numbness and tingling now un foot and ankle area. Still not nearly as bad as pre surgery but when I called my Dr he said not to worry, it's normal. I'm petrified. As it is I'm a wreck bc I can't take care of my baby and I'm crying non stop bc of this. I've had a history of back pain but never ever had an episode down the leg until this recent attack. Had surgery on NYE, Dr felt bad for me I think! I'm dreading a second surgery but I feel like maybe i did too much the other day. Please respond I'm falling apart. Thank you.

• RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 01/11/2013 - 2:57 PM
    I would go with what your doctor said. You are only 11 days out. When you have this type of surgery, the Dr has to move nerves to get to the disc that needs to be repaired. The nerves can become very irritated just from being moved and it can take quite some time for them to calm down. You are early on in your recovery. I know it is difficult not being able to take care of your family. I think you should be patient let your body heal and follow your doctors instructions.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Anything is possible, however, it is not uncommon for the case to get worse before it gets better.
    For example, after my L5-S1 micro-d, I was in bed for a month unable to move. It was really really bad and I thought the worst things. It turned out it was severe inflammation, edema, and swelling. An ESI (epidural steroidal injection) into the region did wonders over the course of 7 days.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • AK80: the above is good advice. Like the doctor said, this is common. It should settle in a few weeks. If it is too painful, the doctor can give you some neuropathic pain medicine. If your are not on anti-inflamatories, discuss whether medicine to reduce the nerve swelling may be appropriated t. Hopefully, this is just a minor setback from overdoing it.

AK, please keep us informed how you go as we would like to follow your recovery progress. And, yes it's hard adapting to what's required in recovery, but it's only for a relatively short time.

Take care.
  • It sounds like you just over did it a little. You probably have some swelling going on putting some pressure on the nerves after being on your feet for that long.

I've expeienced a re-herniation before and in my case I knew right away what had happened. I was doing PT the day after my surgery. They had me up walking around and all of a sudden I almost went to my knees in pain...litterally my foot went numb within a second and I had SEVERE sciatica down my leg into my ankle.

Good luck
  • Thank you all for the posts. It's a very sensation. I have numbness near my ankle and foot but not really painful! Prior to surgery my whole foot was pins and needles and I had a stabbing, twisting, burning feeling in my shin/ankle. I have that now again but not burning and not constant so that's why I'm like maybe it's just the nerve acting out. I also attempted to go out with my family for dinner but sitting on the chair was torture in my hamstrings. I knew I had to get up every 20 min but I couldn't even sit.

I'm hoping that's all it is. I'm just so petrified. I'm feeling extremely depressed over all of this and I cry a lot. I really appreciate your responses. Calling my Dr on Mon si hopefully I can see him on Tues. I'm nervous an the numbness that has magically reappeared. I'll keep you posted!
  • AK: hi again.

You will read here that crying and being emotional is a common reaction to surgery and anaesthetics. Many here feel down during the first part of recovery after the joy of getting back home settles down. It will get better real soon.

And the numbness and tingling in areas that were in pain before surgery, that is normal nerve regeneration based, on what I read here and my own experience. Make sure you discuss all this on Monday with your doctor.

Take care.
  • Hi again,
    I saw my Dr today. He ran all the tests, toe raises, heel raises etc and I'm able to do them all. Told him aB new numbness and tingling. He does not think I reherniated. He just said unfortunately people feel numbness. I was like cant I get an MRI? He said too early out of surgery (2 weeks today!) I've been taking it easy and doing some simple walking.

Thanks for all the support. Of course I started crying again to the Dr! Like all of you he told me it's a result of all the steroids and anesthesia. I had an epi on Dec 24 and surgery on Dec 31. So my body is on drug overload!

Thanks again for all your support.

I hope you are all feeling healthy and happy!