Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello :)

AndyAAndy Posts: 2
edited 01/23/2013 - 5:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi my name is Andy and I'm 21 years old from the UK.

I suffered from a herniated disc at the beginning of the year were it was 'treated' by a physiotherapist paid for by the NHS.

I say 'treated' because my symptoms settled right down to almost nothing. The main pain I used to get was getting in and out of bed, turning in bed, sitting and standing. These symptoms only persisted for a couple of minutes.

I would like to add; 'treatment' is referred to as it didn't entirely work for me. Nevertheless, I believe they do a good job on other injuries.

I went to see a doctor who referred me for an MRI and to see a neurosurgeon who suggested surgery. I declined as my symptoms had settled down.

A few months went by and my back started to ache slightly at work and when I was sat for a long period of time. I ignored the pain and just took it easy. It got progressively worse until I saw a chiropractor who gave me some exercises and a heat/cold program.

The pain got worse until one day I was at my girlfriends house. I carefully bent down to roll my jeans legs up as the legs were slightly too long for me!

All of a sudden I heard a "POP". I lost sensation in my left leg for a minute, intense pain, cold sweat and feeling faint. I fell back on the bed and laid there for what felt a life time until I regained composure to move.

Sciatica pain throbbed down my left buttock and down my leg. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't lay down in my own bed for over 8 weeks, I couldn't sit for a long time and nor could I cope much longer.

I broke down in tears one day from exhaustion and fear from months of pain. I went to the local A&E and got given Gabapentin which was effective but carried some awful side effects. These consisted of: depression, suicidal, paranoia, mood swings, headaches and aching eyes.

All together I was taking 3 Gabapentin, 12 Codine Phosphates and anti inflammatory.

As a result of constantly 'bugging' the surgeon and his secretary I got a date for an operation on the 18th February. I am very nervous but yet excited to get back to normal. As I was a very active outgoing person.

I want to share my story and give people like me who is going through similar pain or worse to get in contact with me. I would like to give support to people where ever I can.

Sharing feelings and problems is better than keeping it bottled up inside.

Email: andy_1991@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you :)
advertisement

Comments

• I'm glad you found this forum. The people here have really helped me. Good luck on your surgery!
    Celia,
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!