Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Attempting to return to work.

Well my fellow spineys, I come to you all that are willing to respond for your advice. I am at a point where I can no longer support my self nor my children on my SSD. I ahve been on it for over five years. And at this point my financial situation outweighs my pain. And I thught that was impossible. I refuse to continue to be a financial drain on my significant other and my family. My issue is I ahte that I was reffered to a Pm clinic about two going on three months ago. And they put me on Methadone. Now the jobs that I have been applying for all due drug screen. And what stigma goes with methadone. I hate that I am on it. Even my nuerologist wants me off of it. And Allthough I am on oxycodone and soma. I cant believe I am on methadone and that I accepted so long. What advice if any can be given to me about returning to work, I spoke with SSd people and was told I could do a trial period to see if I could work for up to nine months, That is great for me but wit the drug screening I dont know if I have any chance at all. Has anyone gone through this situation. Could you give me some advice. I dont mean to be rude about methadone. It has worked great, But now that I am returning to work or thinking about it. I didnt think about it till now. And I dont know why he put me on it, If I was at a comfrotable level of pain management with the oxycodone and the some. As well as the Depakote. Well I ranted long enough. Thank you for your attention,

• If you are not working with or around machinery as long as you disclose prior to the drug test I don't think they can hold it against you.
    But i'm sure your resume would go to the very bottom of the pile.

L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
  • Hello PEDMM, that is a great objective, although potential employers are obliged not to define your restriction through disability, the reality is many do. Some reasonable adjustments may be necessary and we should get more support. I have been on permitted work, where the limitation on hours and income are set.

The good point is that you want to do this, that is key I changed jobs completely from an active one to a more sedate environment, I used what I like to call my downtime to study and get where I needed to be. I initially did some voluntary hours to get into the mode of enduring this unremitting pain all day while attempting to be more productive. My current employer has made considerable effort to facilitate my needs, I can rest they have been very flexible.

I still only worked part time and that was sufficient to feel included, what did you do before ?

Having limited income is very stressful and you are planning you own future so good luck. You may want to make a list of when the pain is worse or what activity makes it worse, as the pace of work increases perhaps the pain will also, the strategy of pacing or longer resting may not be possible while working. I pay a high price for continuing to attempt to work, I have nothing left.

That trial idea is worth a go, get a letter from the pain clinic supporting your medication use, it is great to hear of people trying to get back into work where possible, you should be encouraged and supported in every way possible.

Good luck, let us all know how things are going. Take care, John.
  • John thank you for the words of encouragement. You don't know how much I hav wanting to hear just one onhere. And you made my day. I am really going forward with it. Im waiting to hear back and hope to get back into financing. It will be hard being back at a desk but this is something I must do. Never have I thought not working would give me such low self esteem. I hear my girlfriend get home and talk about her day at work. And when we have company not having a productive life really brings me down. And that is enoigh for me. I don't know if I can do it. But I'm going to try my hardest. Thanks again for your response. Means a lot to me.
  • RTgirl2011RRTgirl2011 Posts: 512
    edited 02/01/2013 - 3:58 PM
    My mom went back to work full time to get off her SSD and the SSA wants her to pay back all the money they paid her. They even put it on her credit report. Not trying to be a downer, but just wanted to let u know this could happen.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Oh man. Thats terrible. How long had she been on ssd? And did she do it all by the book like your suppose to. I don't meant to sound doubtful. Its just that I even just recieved their booklet that explains the guidelines. And it has some things you must follow or it could be used against you. I'm really sorry to hear that. But somethings must have gone wrong. Please if you could let me know the circumstances so I can double check what ssd has advised me? I would appreciate it. Thank you.
  • She was on SSD for about 8 years. She did it all by the book. They even paid for her to go back school, so she could get a job. She ended up calling them and practically begged them to stop sending her money once she got a full time job. I am sure that it is some sort of freak thing. I just wanted to give you a heads up on the possibility of that happening.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • Rt Girl. Im so sad that happeded, and thanks for the heads up. I guess I will have to pay close attention to datelines, Make sure none run over. ANELSEN15 thank you for your words of supprt Again all I am looking for. I completely get what you mean about not at least trying and giving it a chance, I want to thats all I want to do is at least say I tried. You dont know what will happen you dont. And of course if I cant then I can just go back to where I was. But I have read some other posts that state from other people. Unless your bed ridden and comatose can we really not try to work? I totaly get that now. I figure I sit here in pain anyways, regardless what I do I am in pain, Why not be earning money while I hurt at a job and take my meds if Im in so much pain. I wont be running machinery And I am accustomed to my meds, I do get groggy but to a certain point, I use to remember same 2 o"clock slump one hits during a typical work day. Right? Everyone feels that after a good lunch at work. I guess I really excited, got my first interview out of the way. Going to my 2nd phase of hiring next week. So I will know soon If I am going to get hired. Wiish me luck all my fellow spineys, And please anymore advise or stories any of you can share please please post them on here as I look forward to them all. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.