Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wish me luck

I am off for a cervical MRI this morning! My surgeon thinks my balance issue is coming from neck and not from the fusion. He also says my SI joint is flaring and will give me shots personally on my next appointment. Please think good thoughts for me. I am so scared that the condition of neck will be as bad as my back was. I have had horrendous finger pain...intermittant but horrible pain in my hands for years. Now its pretty much a dull ache all of the time with the stabbing pain that comes and goes from my hands to my elbow. If my neck is as bad as my back, I am screwed. I almost want to cancel, I really dont think I want to know or can deal with another blow. I still have considerable pain after triple fusion 6 mnths ago and the idea of having neck issues is a nightmare! Well, I hope everyone is getting through the day as pain free as possible today. Peace my friends, E
3 level fusion L3-S1 July 23, 2012

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    coming your way....
    The MRI is a snap, and hopefully you will get some clear cut information, probably not today, but within the next few days.

I started with Lumbar surgeries and worked my way up the ladder to the cervical area. I have had 3 ACDF's and each one of them was as close to perfect as possible. The surgery easy, the recovery easy. I do have head movement restrictions both up and down and side to side. But for me, the cervical surgery was a like a walk in the park compared to my lumbar surgery

Still wishing you the best
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • ellencalieellencali Posts: 162
    edited 02/06/2013 - 7:15 AM
    Is the cervical MRI the same as the lumbar? I mean position wise. I have major claustrophobic issues but have become a pro at the lumbar MRI using prism glasses. Do you know if I will be able to use them and see out with a cervical. I will let you know how it goes...and I have put exactly what you said in my mind...cervical surgery, walk in the park to my 3 level lumbar, I did good recovering...wish pain was gone but we all know fusion is to stabablize and not to get us pain free! Thank you for the well wishes..I will take them all! I will send as many back as I can! Peace to all, E
  • Good luck, take a Valium if you have any for the MRI, It helped me relax, I am right behind ya with issues as this just keeps backlashing pain geting out of control no mater what a person does,

Just count sheep while you nap in the MRI, Each time you hear the bang bang pretent you are hunting , lol
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Sending good thoughts and well wishes to you El! GOOD LUCK!
  • Panicked once on the way in...a few tears! Had them position the prism glasses around the head guard and I was good to go! Thanks for the well wishes....it really does help. Alex, no damn valium, no damn sheep....thinking I need something to shoot! Oh and Alex, please check your PM's! So I am attempting to read my own MRI...not good I know. I dont see any herniation just a shit load DDD. I think I see 2 discs that are pretty much gone...all I see is black! I dont even know which way to count to figure out what discs they are..lol. Trying to extract the written report. Will keep everyone informed. Going to sched my surgeon now...fun stuff..this is my life these days! I hope everyone is out living life instead of spending your days at Dr offices and crap! UGH...I am so ready to move on....moving on down the road now..........PEACE, E

• I am sorry that I have only just seen this and so am late, but well done for surviving!! :-)

Now try to relax and be patient until you hear from your doctor what the diagnosis is.
    The MRI isn't going to change anything, it will just let you know what is already going on.

Like Ron, I started with the lumbar fusion, and moved on up to the neck.
    I agree that the neck fusion is easier to recover from than the lumbar fusion. You have more mobility, which makes life easier.

Take care, God bless and please let us know what you find out. xxx
  • I have been following your posts and I am so happy to hear you are recovering. How is your "glurping" "sqeeking" going? Nerve symptoms slow down yet? I keep looking at the films and of course see the worst. But since I am not a radiologist, I will wait for my appointment with surgeon next week. Right now I am dealing with such SI joint pain, I am about to lose it! The hand and finger pain are just a nuisance compared to the pain I have in my hip and groin...I am guessing I am just one of the lucky ones that genetically got dealt a crappy hand in the disc department. I so badly want to be on the other side of this...I can handle a pretty fair amount of pain, but the all the time, never ending pain is wearing on me! I know you all know what I mean! It just never ends. Last night I literally was sick, vomiting from the pain. Sometimes I want to fall into the "why me?' phase but then I read stories of sick, dying children and I find myself looking at my kids so happy it is me that is in pain....I feel lucky at those times. Just puts it in perspective, ya know? Peace, E
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 02/06/2013 - 11:44 PM
    Well, I am not making the 'frog' noises now, but am still squeaking loudly with every swallow of thin liquid. My singing has a lot to be desired! Those higher notes are just not obtainable now. If I try to sing anyway, I generally end up with a sore throat from straining it. I am doing scales as instructed by the speech therapist to encourage my throat to behave.

I am gradually increasing the Gabapentin/Neurontin to try to find a level where my nerve pain and stiffenting spasms will be controlled. I am at 7 x 300mg a day and climbing. 12 tablets a day is the maximum dose. I thought that my nerve pain was improved, but yesterday told me otherwise! I agree that pain from the neck is not as debilitating as the lower back.

We can always think of others far worse off than us. I do that often and it helps me to accept where I am. I still have a lot to be very grateful for. Number one there is my family XXX

Take it easy Ellen and stay hopeful. :-) xxx