Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Earliest sciatica warning signs

When you became aware of sciatica, did it come on full bore, or did it start out slow? I have DDD and arthritis in my spine. A few weeks ago, I started noticing a pain slightly between my wallet and spine. I thought it was a hip socket problem, like the ball and socket were loose until I realized that is more to the front.

My guess is my sciatic nerve is being pinched from a crumbling back. I am a frustrated 50 year old man trying to learn how to live with DDD, and now whatever this is.

• Mine started with back pain then whammooo it hit down my arse into my leg no real warning.
  • Keytan said:
    mine seemed to come on sudden last july... but looking back, I had a wierd tight butt muscle feeling on the right side after giving birth to my first child. it went away after about a year.... it came back after my 2nd child.. then we did a big move and I lifted things I shouldnt have... 2 weeks later I woke up one morning and my whole leg hurt like hell. I havent been the same since.
    I wish someone would have told me this could happen.. I would have hired movers!!!!

I can relate to that tight butt muscle feeling. I at first felt like I needed to stretch that muscle.
  • My first time it started out with lower leg pain and numbness only. This time it started with hip pain and I thought I had bruised my hip somehow.
  • I second the hip comment. I was a recreational cyclist and competitive triathlete and cycled 200+ miles a week. I started having hip pain and went to the doctor and was misdiagnosed with bursitis, and here I sit 5 surgeries later.
    Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
    Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
    Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
    St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• myharleygirlmmyharleygirl Posts: 55
    edited 07/12/2013 - 4:10 PM
    Mine started with low back pain, then two days later horrible pain around to outside of thigh and down thigh (outside and down center of thigh to knee). I also thought there was a problem with my hip replacement but it is all due to lumbar back disease.
    Cervical Laminectomy and fusion C2 to T1 June 2012, Anterior Hip Replacement November 2012, Laminectomy, Discectomy Foriminotomy, L3 to L5, February 2014, evacuation of Hematoma April 2014.
    Cervical Myopathy, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, osteoarthritis
  • Mine starts with low back pain on my right side the goes full bore down my left leg. It happens like this every time I have herniated a disc.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.