Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware has moved after fusion

I had a fusion C5-C7 in 2009. The past couple of months I've had pain similar to my original pain. My x-ray shows the titanium plate has moved and is now pushing in to C4. Has anyone else on here had this, or know of anyone who has?
2007 and 2010 L4-S1 Microdiscectomies; helped for a total of 3 years between the 2 of them.
08/2011....pain returned.
10/03/2012....back reconstruction L3-S1...large titanium "seperators" were put at each level with synthetic bone graft material.

• RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 03/06/2013 - 6:43 PM
    Hi I saw your post and thought somebody with experience of loose hardware would post for you. They must not have seen your post. After my surgeries my surgeon did a lot of X-rays every few weeks. I asked the resident why so many and he said it was just a caution to make sure no hardware had moved or came lose. That made me do some searching on the web and found its not uncommon and can cause real problems depending on where it migrates to.

What is the plan for you. After fusion most hardware can be removed if that's why it was used.
    Are they talking about going in for it?
    I would like to follow your problem and see where it goes

• susabellssusabell Posts: 238
    edited 03/07/2013 - 5:26 AM
    Hello I had a 3 level acdf c4-7 in 2010. I had a CT done August of 2012. The CT shows Lipping at c4 which means the hardware is pulling away and hitting my c3, I had a MRI done on 2/13/13 and I now have A bulging disc at c3, I also have a bone spur at c7, and I have bulging at c7 and t1. My plan is to get a copy of my MRI taken on 2/13/13 tomorrrow becuase I am having a stellate ganglion block on right side do to a RFA which caused sympathetic pain in my right hand and arm.

After my RFA on 11/27/12 do to a Non-Union at c7 Bi-Lateral I have had Severe right arm and right hand Nerve pain, Burning pain, and Pins and Needles Very Horrible pain. I am not able to take Gabbapentin or Lyrica because of the side effects of Medication. Side effects of Medicine are the feeling of falling down (my gate is off).

I will schedule a appointment with a Orthopedic I saw last June who went over my CT with me. So yes it seems that the hardware can move around. I will keep you updated. Per my visit last June with Ortho he suggest that the Hardware at C4,C5 and C5,C6 be removed. At C6,C7 he will use some of my Hip Bone, and Fuse C6,C7 where there is the Non-Union.

I am very concerned as Surgery is a Last Resort, but at this Point it seems like it is necessary. My ortho was very Honest and told me, this May or May Not help. I still have a lot of pain from my First Surgery. My After care from my first Surgery was very Poor, My Surgery in 2010 wasw done by a Nuero Surgeon, and at first it was totally lined up, but he used Pins for the fusion, No bone graft with cadaver, or my Own bone at all. I did NOT have to wear a collar at all, as Surgeon said my bones where in good shape. I do wear a soft collar now, especially when I need to lift things like groceries, and for cleaning and also sometimes during sleep, as to keep my neck from sleeping in a (fetal position). I used to sleep like a ? mark curling my neck inward prior to surgery. I find that sleeping on my back is the Best position, but without sleeping with collar on it's hard to sleep on my back. I blame no one for my outcome as I am Able to walk and talk. My first surgery took over 4 hours, and I was in Hospital for 2 days. I was in ICU for a few Hours which I do Not remember, then moved to another rooom, it was a Private room. I woke up in Horrible Pain, my Brother was with Me and He insisted to call the Dr. and get me some pain Medicine, I was put on a Drip. Thank God someone was there to be my advocate. This is why I am so scared to have another Surgery. But I must move Forward, and this time I will go with the Ortho because I know someone else here on Spine Health who has used the Ortho, and also I feel more comfortable with him. I believe that has a lot to do with Our recovery, as I want Good Follow Up Care this time around. Orhto also said I would be in a Soft Collar after this 2nd Surgery and he will Be Going in the front again, but he will go in thru the Left Side.

acdf 05/2010 c4-c7
    Bulging dics at L4,L5
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • I have a clamp which has allowed a rod to come loose, so yes, this happens... I'm getting it "fixed" because it isn't fused, but they think it will come undone eventually, but as long as I fuse, they *hopefully* won't have to remove/or fix it again.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.