Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovering from surgery

Hello, I am a 17 yr old female and had urgent surgery on my back 1 week ago, I had my L5/s1 discs repaired, broken down to due to DDD, the rules are I cannot bend/lift for 6 weeks, and only exercise is Walking, due to this problem going on for nearly 2 years, and the loss of feeling and some use of my left leg because of disc pressure on the nerve, my calf muscle is starting to waste away, I am wondering does anyone know how i could start to build this up slowly at home, weights on ankle or stretches that don't require bending etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Nick_MurphyNNick_Murphy Posts: 171
    edited 03/20/2013 - 4:29 AM
    Hi RoisinMD, I would suggest following the advice given by your surgeon and focus on the walking for now. Have you any PT planned as part of your post op plan, I would be fearful of taking any advice on additional exercises etc that were not approved by the surgeon directly
  • Yeah I start PT in 3 weeks, I should probably wait till then, so hard to not done anything though. Thanks for swift reply! :)
  • I hear you, but best to spend 3 weeks being "lazy" than risk your recovery - wish you well :-)
  • I am at 12 weeks post op now and only just starting p.t walking is the only thing I could really manage. up to 6 weeks I wouldn't risk anything personally but everyone is different. walking was good for me because your never in one place for too long which seemed to be the hardest thing to conquer and still is for me. if your worried about the condition of your muscles just keep taking small walks as and when you feel like it. however frustrating it may be take your time. you are still recovering. ask your gp about pt