Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain and breast reduction

Hi everyone,

I have had 5 surgeries in the past 2 1/2 years. Basically it started with c5-6 fusion for spinal cord impingement and it all just snowballed from there. I have suffered from neck and shoulder pain for years. I am now fused from c3-c7. Three anterior fusions and 2 posterior decompressions. I explored all other options prior to surgery (PT, shots, drugs, etc), I've had no success.

I am wondering if anyone has had relief from neck pain (c3-4) with a breast reduction. ???? Maybe it's worth a shot.

Anyone??? Thanks!

• It might help somewhat, but from my own experience I can tell you that it hasn't really helped me as much as I thought it would. I have had pain problems in my back & neck for a very long time, so I thought this would make a huge difference, it was a small relief in the beginning, mainly not having to carry those huge momma's around anymore hahaha. I fell down an outside stairway & smacked my head right into my car door & got whiplash, which I didn't even think anything was wrong right away, but it sure reared it's ugly head in the months that followed. Back to what you want to know....if you have huge, heavy breasts, & bra straps digging into your shoulders with pain, then I say go for it, for what it's worth it was the best decision I've made, just for the relief of the weight alone. Good luck to you! :)
  • kfortinikkfortini Posts: 8
    edited 04/28/2013 - 12:18 AM
    Hi KittKat,

Thank you for your response. I think I am going to make an appointment for a consultation anyway. It can't hurt. I'd love to get it done for, just as you said, getting rid of the excess "boobage" that I don't need! ;) Did your medical insurance cover the operation?

Sorry to hear of your injury. It sounds not only painful, but scary. Whiplash isn't a fun thing to have... I hope you are doing better now.
  • CinbadCCinbad Posts: 55
    edited 05/03/2013 - 4:08 PM
    I just had ACDF for C5/6 ane C/7 and I am still in a lot of pain.

I am 5 ft tall and my breast have always been out of proportion with my body and pain. I've dreamed of a reduction for decades! Now that my back and neck problems are more and more severve, maybe it's an option that can give me some relief. I certainly don't have any need for themc. Anyone have relief from neck pain with a breast reduction. ???? Maybe it's worth a shot.

I don't even know where to start.

Anyone??? Thanks!
  • Hi Cinbad,

I have sent a message to my health insurance company. I figured that was the best place to start. I asked what steps needed to be taken to see if this surgery would be covered under my plan. Once I get info from them, I will then reach out to a plastic surgeon and make an appointment for a consultation. I will post my progress on here and let you know what I find out.

• Yes, my insurance did cover the reduction, your surgeon has to show a significant amount to be removed in order to warrant the reduction for the insurance to cover it, most surgeons can do this, mine wasn't a problem as they were quite large. Good luck to you both. The surgery did help me until I took the fall & got whiplash, that happened in Dec. of 2011 it hasn't gotten any better, only worse, I am going to my first Pain Management appt. this Thursday, I am hoping they will have a good plan for me, I am not looking forward to it.
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 04/30/2013 - 7:37 PM
    Charlie says NNNOOOOOOoooooooo

OK sorry for that but just could not pass it up.
    I am surprised Alex didn't post already.

When I pick up five pounds it hurts so I can only guess that it would help and be worth checking into it.
    I would be careful on any statements made to the insurance co and make it clear its not cosmetic.
  • I had it done after I had my only child at age 41. All my pregnancy weight I carried in my breasts! I went up 4 cup sizes. I had neck surgery first due to herniated disc at C5/C6 but not much if any pain relief:-( The following year I had the reduction 3 cup sizes a lot of complications from breast surgery, but I also had a breast lift. Medical insurance approved breast reduction, but the lift was considered cosmetic. Now 3 years later it was the best decision I ever made. I should have had reduction done 20 years ago. I've always been very well endowed. My shoulder pain is better and underwire bras don't leave huge deep marks under my breast anymore. Many times now I just wear a cami with built it bra and no underwire and I feel like the weight of the world is no longer on my shoulders. My scarring is minimal all under the breast. It took a self esteem adjustment, but now people see me for who I am not my breasts first. I say go for it girl! Just research very carefully your plastic surgeon and make sure the doctor agrees to leave pedicle of breast in tact during the surgery. ;)