Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I Get Surgery?

SO I Injured my back doing some construction 9 weeks ago. I've been to the neurologist and most recently the neurosurgeon. Without saying it directly he seems to be recommending me to go in for surgery to remove the material that is pinching my nerve and causing me to lose the ability to push off my left foot. He is afraid the nerve may be permanently damaged if it is not removed.

I don't really have the money to get a second opinion (or the surgery for that matter), so I'm hoping people on here may have advice if they have gone through something similar. The disc involved is the last disc I believe L4. He did an EMG and said it really didn't show anything. The MRI confirmed the herniated disc.

I don't want to wait too long and not be able to run around with my kids, but at the same time I don't want to have surgery if there is a different option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!


  • Unfortunately the information you have is true, further damage can occur and only make things worse. Talk to your Dr. and see if he or the hospital can steer you toward financial assistance.
    Best of luck. Keep in touch

  • I am 13 days post- op from a TLIF (Spinal Fusion of L5/S1) and am feeling much better than I did before it. We didn't have the money for the surgery and I didn't have the time off work- but we made it happen as we both knew that it was the only thing that would make me better. I went through EVERY non-surgical treatment before going to surgery, and wish that I would've seen the neurosurgeon before I went through all of it ordered by the orthopaedic... but it all worked out. I am feeling great, and I would recommend making it happen if you are in pain, unable to do you job, and the doctor is recommending it if at all possible! :( Hope you get some relief soon, back injuries are horrible!!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
Sign In or Register to comment.