Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion L2 - S1surgery

About to have subject surgery , this will be the 2nd fusion as l5 s1 performed 1.5 years ago.

Reason for spondylolethis,stenosis,degenerate disc and scoliosis.

Legs are weak...standing for more than 5 minutes is almost unbearable.

Any advise on what to expect?

What about recovery mobility ?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam, liz jellyhall or sandi

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SpinegrlSSpinegrl Posts: 15
    edited 05/27/2013 - 5:26 AM
    I am fairly new here and have found this site to be a great source of support and information. I have had two fusions, the last being in July '06. I was told to have some help, prepare some meals ahead of time ect. We are all different but for me it was a long long recovery. I now need to have my left SI joint fused. I found out last July and am still holding back. This will make spine surgery # 6. Plus a THR done in 2011. Will you have help? Do you live alone? I found the the more support you can have really makes a difference in recovery. PT may be added to your recovery as well. I finally gave in and asked to go to a Rehab hospital after the hip because I needed to extra time before returning home. I wish you the very best in regards to your up-coming surgery. Keep us updated.
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 05/27/2013 - 7:36 AM
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your mobility once you have had time to heal. You are going in to some major surgery and you'll need to be mentally prepared for that. I speak from a tremendous amount of experience with total lumbar fusion (which seems to apply to you even though it appears they are going to not fuse the L1-L2. I know for the most part (and every surgeon/patient is different) but for the most part in America if you have your total lumbar fused they do "anchor" the lumbar with screws into the hips. These (as seen in my photo) not only stabilize the spine but will also protect the SI joints. I would never even know they were there if I hadn't seen them on the x-ray. I know my surgeon was extremely upfront with me and even stated I'd walk different for the rest of my life because I'd have no "twist". I guess that's true? and I guess he can look at hundreds of people walking and immediately tell, but I sure can't. I walk just fine/normal. The recovery was very difficult, impart for me because my old fusions had to be broken, even some bone partly removed, etc... but I'm sure your recovery will be difficult as well. Just go in mentally prepared. Your surgeon would never suggest such a radical surgery if he didn't think you were an excellent candidate and were strong enough (mentally and physically) to heal. I've always been very limber and thought I'd be giving up that side of my physical self. So not true, I can still sit Indian style on the floor (not recommended for awhile until you've had time to heal), and do all the things I use to do. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much the quality of my life has improved. The weakness in your legs will be there awhile through healing, but they will get stronger and stronger. If you get the option of doing an inpatient rehab after you leave the hospital.... do it. I would NEVER have done that, but I wasn't really in the best position to decided that, so my family decided for me, and I swear it made all the difference. It was horrible to be away from my children for so long, but I focused on healing, on strengthening, and on learning how to deal with life (putting on shoes, getting things off the floor,etc.). I am assuming your surgery is tomorrow or this week. Best of luck to you. Feel free to PM me any time. You are about to embark on a very long and bumpy roller coaster both physically and emotionally, but I promise when it slows down you will be delighted at how much your life will improve over all.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.