Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recliner Chair or Bed

I just had surgery on my neck for two herniations two weeks ago. I'm having trouble sleeping. I have great pillows & mattress. I even went to Relax the Back to buy a wedge which I use to read in bed. However, I still can't sleep for more than a few hours at a time because of the pain. My therapist suggested a Recliner. Should I buy one, or do you think just wait a few days and this will pass? If this is going to take months to heal, then I guess I know the answer. I'm leaning toward buying one as it will help me watch tv too.

Have you had luck sleeping in a recliner? What are your experiences with experimenting with easier sleeping methods?

Kathy :)

• Are you taking your pain meds and/or the muscle relaxers? If not, then do yourself a favor and take them. After 20 years of pain, you are doing your body more harm than good if you are not taking them reguarly. Stay ahead of the pain and it will be much easier for your fusion to heal. If you don't, then you are going to squirm a whole lot more. Squirming is really bad for a fusion, trust me. After several months you can try backing off them to see how your pain is doing.

Hope this helps,

7 failed lumbar surgeries L3-L4-L5-S1 posterior and anterior, broken screw, Failed ACDF C5-C6-C7
    I want my Mommy
  • mskathymmskathy Posts: 26
    edited 07/01/2013 - 8:30 AM

I've been on pain meds since February when the Drs were figuring this all out. You know the route I"m sure, therapy, cortizone shots, epidurals.....ahhhh you should have surgery. So I'm almost weened off the pain meds and really trying at this point to get by on Naproxen during the day. I'm still on pain meds/relaxers at night. Not fun. And yes people have told me to stay ahead of the pain. Not sure I agree with that, I'd be doped up 24 hours a day. And I worry what that will do to my organs.

Looking at your history yikes!

Thanks for advice,

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi kathy,
    I found that a recliner works the best for me, tried going back to bed too soon and ended up back on the recliner.
    I also have to agree with Steve, past experience says that staying ahead of the pain is the best method to control it.
    Be patient, follow Dr's orders and hopefully you will be feeling a lot better soon, take care.
  • Kathy,

I was in a recliner for sleeping and daily sitting for the first week following my ACDF and the first 3 weeks following my posterior laminectom and fusion. I highly suggest getting one. It is far more comfortable to sleep in that then on a bed no matter how many pillows you use to prop yourself up. At some point the bed will return to being your friend. On a side note I highly suggest not getting a leather one haha. I got a leather recliner because I figured if I got a fabric one my cats would think "WOOOO new scratching post" and destroy it but the leather really makes you sweat a lot and can cause some discomfort all its own.
  • Hey Kathy, this early in your recovery and you definitely shouldn't be on any NSAIDs like Naproxen, Ibuprofen, Toradol, Voltaren, etc. as they interfere with the fusion process. Several doctors have told me this over the years and I've also read it several times. Just a heads up. Heck I didn't take any and I still didn't fuse! Pain pain go away....please! My experience has been that however I have been after 6 months is pretty much the way I am going to remain barring a miracle. You have a good ways to go and the first two weeks are really critical in the bone knitting process.

7 failed lumbar surgeries L3-L4-L5-S1 posterior and anterior, broken screw, Failed ACDF C5-C6-C7
    I want my Mommy