Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sensitive toes

I had L5-S1 fused 06/11/13. I had sciatic pain mostly in my right shin and was told the surgery was to resolve the back pain, but likely would not improve my sciatic pain. The MRI showed minor contact with the nerve, however the sciatic pain started with my back injury. Anyway, since surgery my 2/3 toes from the biggie are so sensitive! Like someone cut the nail far too short. Does anyone else have this? Will it decrease and swelling reduces from the surgery?
Lumbar fusion L5-S1 06/11/13.

• Well for anyone in the future with this problem, my dr prescribed a 5 day oral steriod to reduce swelling and hopefully eliminate the pain. Well see if it works!
  • I had/have the same issues with my toes. I'm trying PT to help (I also have some more pain issues)....Hope your steroids provide you with some relief!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I have had a similar but different experience. Prior to my surgery I had really bad sciatic pain in my left leg, as well as numbness and tingling down my whole leg. After my surgery this is gone - yay! But I have had problems with muscle weakness and trembling in both thighs after any exertion or exercise. I was really worried about this and asked my surgeon about the symptoms. He said that it was most likely nerves that had been bruised or injured during the course of the surgery, and that it would improve over time. Nerves heal VERY slowly, so it could take a few weeks to completely go away. He said that as long as the symptoms don't drastically get worse, I should not worry about it as it is within the normal events when healing from this type of surgery. It sounds very much like something similar may be happening with you, especially since you were prescribed steroids to reduce swelling. Hope the meds give you some relief.

48 year old freight handler. Bilateral foraminotomy, decompression of nerve roots and reduction of spondylolisthesis at L4-5 with open PILF and autogenous bone graft from left hip - June 13, 2013
  • I am having horrible pain in the same two toes and at the base of the toes as well. Interestingly, the back eased up slightly as this pain continues to increase.

When I met with my surgeon I didn't mention the foot pain, I thought I injured the foot with all the walking I do. He asked me if I was having pain in that area. He said some people have it and some people don't.

I am hoping that it is gone when I wake up from surgery next week!
    Synovial cysts L-5 causing mass effect 5mm and 7 mm in size
    Severe lumbar facet disease
    Bulging discs
  • Funny my back pain was great after surgery but toes got increasingly worse! They were numb first day, then a bit sensitive off and on. Then right after my post op at 4 weeks they got so painful! Not my back getting sore too. Went from minimal pain to taking 2 Vicodin at a time. I do think the surgery worked great, original pain seems to be gone and surgery really wasn't bad at all. Sure hope toes get better with steroids and aren't a sign of damage. Thanks for sharing your responses! I thought I was alone. Cameron, I hop pt helps you! I haven't started yet but had bad leg cramps the first 2 weeks. They felt really tight after surgery. Lizinal, take Chapstick, pjs, and baby wipes to the hospital. My saving grace post op was a high air bed in my living room. This is my base and keeps me so comfy! And a grabber works wonders. If you've done research you should have any surprises. Surgery wasn't really painful for me and was managed with meds.
  • I have done so much reading I feel like I could perform the surgery lol!

Hopefully the nerve pain will fade over time. Are you on lyrica or something fornthe nerve pain?

I have the wipes and lip balm. I am getting my hair done tomorrow and my mani/pedi on Wed. I guess I have to go with clear polish. I thought it would be a fun relaxing way to spend time with my sister who is flying in on Wed. To help me and my husband out.

Synovial cysts L-5 causing mass effect 5mm and 7 mm in size
    Severe lumbar facet disease
    Bulging discs
  • I had lumbar fusion on L5-S-1 on May 24th, and on day 13 post op (steroids administered during surgery wore off) I woke up with all kinds of intense nerve pain. Most painful was burning, hypersensitive feet (beginning at my ankles and burning up my calves) and toes (especially the big toe). my PA prescribed Lyrica (75mg at night) which helped somewhat. I had many pity parties over this pain. I am happy to report that by week 8 I am beginning to feel relief. The area of pain is reducing and the intensity is diminishing. I think I will be off Lyrica for good in a couple of weeks! I never thought this would go away but it is so true the nerves heal slowly so give it time and keep the faith!
    Barbara Wilhelm
  • morphia1957mmorphia1957 Posts: 84
    edited 08/23/2013 - 10:39 AM
    you wrote.. > Well for anyone in the future with this problem, my dr prescribed a 5 day oral steriod to reduce swelling and hopefully eliminate the pain. Well see if it works! <
    I've been bitching moaning and complaining for 3 months and no one has suggested it. did it work??? They suggested Epidurals (no thanks, been there, done that) and... an 'interior wash, some other weird epidurylosis... my neuro didn't say anything about sterioids, but I am curious.. this is killing me.. I am on month 4 as of the 1st!

• well. the 6 pak didn't work I hate the fact that this is not changing - I did get a new pain doc, as my surgeon basically said, we cannot help you.. (NICE right?) new contrast MRI, there is some scar tissue on both s1 left /right and we have to figure out how to fix it.. the epidural I just had, did not work. a different musc. relaxer, and a lot of Tylenol and mixed info on whether or not scar tissue dissolving enzymes are safe for fusion, and or whether or not you should advil for the pain when you can. it seems to HELP which makes it all the more tempting... but want to ensure FUSION.. so... not sure where that's at right now.. . still having numbness and tingling down my whole left leg, left toes, bottom of my foot is the worst...ankle reflex is gone, calf muscle 'short' and not in good shape... I couldn't stand on my left toes if you put a gun to my head... my PT is finished, have to work at home all the time, and that's ok, but... better with someone working ON me than trying to do it alone... lets see what magic doc has on Saturday....
  • And yes they helped

I have drop foot and frozen toes(dont move)
    But now after surgery 7 weeks post-op
    my big toe is itchy and hurts
    I think my damaged nerves are HEALING AND CONNECTING