Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Waiting for latest MRI results- I hate waiting

Good evening everyone. I finally was able to get in to see a physiatrist for my back. My husband had to take a day off work to take me because it was a 2 hour drive each way and my back just can't handle driving for over 25 minutes. I got there and she looked at my MRI from 2010, 2011 and then realized 2011 was my last lumbar MRI. So I spent over 4 hours in the car only to be told she couldn't do much until I had another MRI to see how my spine has changed in 2 years. So fustrating. I had the MRI yesterday and I am expecting a call tomorrow to discuss the results. She was concerned because of the end plate degeneration and loss of disc height in the 8 months between my 2010 and 2011 MRIs was advancing at an alarmingly fast rate, especially since I am in my early 30s. My pain hasn't improved nor has my function since my 2011 MRI. I am really worried waiting for these results. I don't know which way I prefer it to go, that is hasn't changed and they don't know why my pain is still severe or that my spine and discs have degenerated even more and I am looking at a L5/S1 fusion. Waiting sucks!
DDD & spinal stenosis L4-S1 since 2001
30+ injections, PT, massage therapy, accupuncture, TENS unit, meds, etc but no surgical intervention
I am not a surgical candidate

• I know waiting is hard, but an updated MRI is beneficial! :( Please let us know what the results show! :)
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • I have a bulged L5-S1. I have been experiencing pain in my left leg. I called the nurse at NS's office and I have waited 4 days for her to call me back. Well, she finally called me back and I didn't get to the phone in time. Now I am stuck waiting for to call me back tomorrow. Its a never ending waiting game when it comes to these doctors and nurses.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • I think waiting (for tests/test results/doctors appointments/surgeries/procedures) is the worst part for me personally. Regardless of results, hopefully you'll get a great treatment plan.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Thanks everyone! To top it all off, I was waiting for the call yesterday and was careful to keep my phone with me at all times. By 5:30pm I still hadn't heard anything so I stepped outside to take out the garbage and left my phone in the house. She called in the 3 minutes it took to take out the garbage, I missed her call! Ugh!
    30+ injections, PT, massage therapy, accupuncture, TENS unit, meds, etc but no surgical intervention
  • Candacewi5CCandacewi5 Posts: 31
    edited 07/12/2013 - 10:47 AM
    The good news is that my spine isn't degenerating as quickly as it was previously. The bad news is that it is degenerating. The report states:
    slight progression of degenerative changes at L4/L5 and L5/S1, with compression at L4/L5 and slight compromise of L5/S1
    anular tear on previous scan is not seen
    end plate degenerative changes at L4/L5 and L5/S1 have progressed

It has been recomended I give serious consideration to a spinal cord stimulator trial. Lots to think about and it was kind of depressing to know I am getting worse. That is life and it must go on!
  • Be cautious for the SCS..(spinal cord stimulator)---I am young as well...and have been playing the same game regarding waiting for surgery due to my age....so a few years ago they had me do the trial....I failed the trial, so never got the perm implant....I was MISERABLE with it from the moment they put in the trial leads......
    Anyways....fast forward to present.....When i saw my new neuro(the old one was too much of a drive for my back after the move)....they could not believe that a doctor even had me consider SCS....I was told once the implants in....that's pretty much it because they cannot do all the same tests any longer....so its a LAST resort in most cases.....which of course the doctor who had me do the trial never bothered to tell me.....i am SO grateful that i failed that trial....
    So just my advise......do your homework....weigh your options and seek additional opinions.....
    My new Neuro's office has been great....and after my discogram this coming Thursday we will start scheduling my Fusion......they were very honest with the fact that they can see I have tried all other non-invasive routes....
    Good luck doll!
This discussion has been closed.