Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First time going to pain managment

Hello I reacently joined this forum I have a few questions about my first PM appointment im am only 27 have had three unsucsesful surgeries and I recently went through PT and OT along with steroid injections I have been on norco 7.5\ 325 and ultram I have been bounced around from my family doctor to my nuro surgon with no realif will pain managment swich up my meds because it is so bad I cannot even get out of bed in the morning without need help to get dressed I am In so much pain this is first time I am ever been reefered to a PM what will they do please help I am out of my medicine and my family doc refusing to fill them she said stay in bed till your appt with the PM I am in lanzing michigan thank you
justin d

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    edited 07/26/2013 - 4:56 AM
    My pain management Drs handles all my medications that pertain to pain, even if I am prescribed a new medicine from my primary Dr I have 24hrs to call the pain clinic and inform them of the new drug, dosage and reason prescribed. This is all part of my pain contract. You more then likely will have to take a urine test for illegal drugs , any drug that was not prescribed to you from a Dr. Be honest with the doctor on your first visit, he cannot help you unless you are. PM usually uses a combination of things to help reduce the pain including pain medication. Be honest tell him what is not working for you, that it is not controlling your pain. It may take a few months to come up with the correct cocktail of medications for adequate pain relief and perhaps a few procedures but they can get your pain to a acceptable level
  • I just am worried im not gona ask the rite questions I have been without meds for two days and am very sick ive been on vicodin for so long it does nothing for me, my valium helps but I have tried every non narcotic pain reliever with no results my surgon and I agreed that im to young for the 3 level fusion he wants to do I just want pain releaf this killing me my family doctor wont give me anything to get through the weekend she said tough it out I never in my life have ever taken more than what was perscribed I actually rite down when I take my meds this is gona be a long weekend thank you though for the fast reply im just goin crazy and I am in so much pain
    justin d
  • Sounds to me that after you get through this next couple of days that you need to look for some, or a, new Dr. If my Dr. told me to tough it out it would be the last time I saw him/her. I would also be thinking about reporting them to the state authorities but that is just me and based on what you have said.

Good luck and hope you make it through the next few days.
  • I seen my PM doctor for the first time he swictched all of my medicine and its been 3 days now and they put me on 15mg of oxycodone and its kicking my but the pain is going away but it knocks me out when I take it and then when I wake up im hurting so ive been sleeping alot latley I think im gona call the doctor I think it might be to strong thanks for your comment I made i. It was hard few days though
    justin d
  • Glad that you got your meds changed around. It could be that the oxycodone at 15 mgs is too strong for you, so you might want to consider going down to a 10 mg or even 5 mg tablet. Oxycodone is considered to be significantly stronger than hydrocodone (vicoden) so you might do very well with less milligrams but better pain relief by dropping 5 mg or so, but make sure to talk to your new PM doctor about it before doing anything.
    Also, if you are unsure about how you are supposed to take the meds, ask the doctor first, especially when it comes to flare ups or especially bad days, never take more of any medication unless your doctor says that it is okay first.