Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What do you find to be the most comfortable/sleeping position?

terri1990tterri1990 Posts: 16
edited 08/09/2013 - 1:01 PM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hi all,
I'm just wondering if any of you know the secret to finding the right position to sleep or sit that causes the least amount of pain. Any position I have tried has failed terribly, and I'm constantly changing position. Any input on what works best for you when sleeping or sitting? Thanks!
Also, how do you stop yourself from ending up on your stomach. I find that to be the most uncomfortable position to wake up from. Any suggestions?

• Lots of pillows works for mr but I have cervical issues and L5-S1
  • terri1990tterri1990 Posts: 16
    edited 08/09/2013 - 4:25 PM
    I have a body pillow but it just doesn't seem to help quite enough. I have L5-S1 as well too! And L4-L5 too, sacroiliac issues as well. I've tried the body pillow and a regular pillow behind my back, just doesn't seem to help :(
    Thank you though Grammaof9 :)
  • Hi I am Pepper and aI am 57 years old.
    My most comfortable sleeping position is on my right side, with my knees bent 45 degrees. Almost a fetal position.
    I ruptured a disk between L4 & L5' 5 years ago and am left with chronic pain. My sciatic nerve on my left side was affected. That may be why I sleep better on my right side.
    I hope you can find a comfortable position soon. Sleep is so important.
  • I trick I learnt from this site is to sleep with a pillow between my knees. It works really well as it is supposed to take the pressure off your spine. If I forget I really notice the difference.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Flat out on my back on a firm mattress, no pillows except on my face.
    I also do okay in a recliner too.
  • I can only sleep on my left side. I use a body pillow with another pillow stuffed inside case. I sleep with it between my knees and I sleep with a second body pillow curved around my back. It's the only comfortable way to sleep.
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • At the hospital they put me on my side wuth pillo etween my knees and a pillow scruncged behind my back for support and another pillow in front of me to HUG.

• I have come to the point of starting out on my back with pillow under my knee's and a travel pillow around my neck for support.
    Sometimes I wake up in some Major pain do to the way I sleep. I have been told I sleep like a question mark, and just looking at my sleeping position looks terribly painful. Now I am very curious as to how this looks. Lol it's always Something.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.