Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Stenosis and Spondololisthesis After Accident

Hi Everyone:

I was rear ended in an accident over a year ago in the spring. I only had a muscle strain in my back initially. But after just a few months, I was more achy and developing more pain. By the fall, it was hard to walk and pain comes with not too much exercise or effort. I have been walking with a cane for a few months and cannot walk very far with it. I have been out of work for the whole year so far.

Images show severe stenosis in L-5, S-1, severe facet arthritis and spondololythesis. I never had any symptoms before the accident and now I am so debilitated.

I can understand how stenosis takes years to develop. How much could the accident hasten that deterioration?

Regarding the spondy, how much evidence is there that the impact at a high speed can cause the vertebra to become misaligned?

Of course, I am trying to hold out doing fusion. I so want to avoid it. Thanks for your help and experiences you share.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hello!!

I am just over 3 months out of a L5/S1 fusion and after 4 years of pain following a rear end accident, it was time to get it done for me. I knew that I had a slipped disc and really wasn't in too much pain, but after I was rear ended the pain was severe and started to travel down my leg. I saw chiropractor after chiropractor as I assumed they would be the best for treatment. However, I figured that I would have this pain for the rest of my life (I'm 26 now) as I had NO relief from the chiro visits. However, in October, 2012 I finally went to an orthopedic and that is when I found out that I had much more than a slipped disc-- I had spinal stenosis, severe degenerative disc disease, large paracenteral herniation showing my sciatic nerve was pinched in 2 places and a pars defect. After many treatment trials-- medicines, injections, physical therapy, etc I didn't get relief and opted for the fusion. What I am getting at is that there are people in the same boat as you-- mine was ruled a pre-existing condition so the girl who hit me didnt pay a dime. Are you seeing an orthopedic or neurosurgeon? What are your treatment options and/or your treatment plan?

Good luck!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 08/23/2013 - 3:52 AM
    While, I am sure that a high impact speed car crash or motorcycle crash can cause spondylolysthesis, I am not aware of any studies that say specifically that that is the cause, so proving that that particular injury came about because of your accident might be difficult.
    As far as wanting to avoid fusion, I can understand , no one wants to have back surgery, however, the longer you wait, the more likely that any nerve impingement damage will become permanent. When nerves are compressed, either in the spinal canal or where they exit the vertebre, the sooner that the compression or cause of the compression is relieved, the better the outcome in the long run for the patient.
    Since you are already having so much difficulty walking, it does not make sense to continue to avoid surgery that might be your best option to avoid permanent and life altering surgery.
    Fusion is not the end of the world, and for most people who undergo fusion, once the recovery is done, are back to living their lives as they did before
    It is worthwhile to visit a few spine surgeons to discuss your options and not risk further or permanent damage.