Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Transforaminal Lumbar Fusion

I am 10 months post-op from Lumbar fusion. I had my x-ray at my 6 month post op appointment and was not starting to fuse at that point. I go for my year check up early November and having a CT scan prior to the appointment. Does it seem normal not to have started to fuse at that point? I have some soreness still but overall I feel so much better than I did pre-surgery. I'm afraid to overdo it as I'm not sure about the fusing process yet.
I hope that I don't have to face revision surgery?

• Brejim:

Everyone grows bone at a different rate. Some soon, but slow. Others late and then fast.

My experience with a TLIF (L4-S1) was evidence of bone growth at 6 weeks and good pain relief. Then my pain returned and never left. Pictures continued to show a fusion. At one year my insurance company authorized a bone growth stimulator. I wore that for about 9 months and then my surgeon declared me a pseudoarthrosis (failed fusion). I was stubborn and waited another 9 months but then submitted to a revision. That was in early June of this year.

My second fusion was not as painful as my first. Also, since I was declared a high risk fusion candidate I began wearing the bone growth stimulator immediately after this surgery. Again, at 6 weeks post surgery x-rays showed bone growth.

So my answer to your question is WHO KNOWS?

Feeling good is paramount. Follow the surgeon's guidance and keep your fingers crossed.

I wish you luck.