Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Management Diagnoses shed negative connotations to other providers

I was told by my pain management physician's office that most all their patients in their office has the diagnosis of drug dependence.....I was appalled because I have always taken my medication as prescribed and many time cut back on it when I can so I would not have to take so much. The nurse told me they put it on the chart because if I stop the treatment I will have to be detoxed. I understand that but now I am marked I fear for just taking the medication prescribed to me! I ended up with a tumor on my spine which was removed but continue to have pain a year later, with major nerve issues, unable to walk without a walker and just found out my hip has bursitis and osteoarthritis in it. I never once called for additional refills or loss medication or asked for higher doses and all seemed well until I got a copy of a faxed referral form for an upcoming second opinion consult for neurosurgery. My referral form had a very very long list of diagnosis but the primary one listed now well below the failed back surgery is Chronic Pain Syndrome. If anyone knows the criteria for this diagnosis it means that my pain is reported to be worst than what medical evidence says it should be (has gone longer than it should and now my body is still having interrupting pain signals automatically)...something like that, going by memory. My question to those of you on long term pain management, have you ever been faced with this? I have been a coder and biller and worked in transcription and have run a front office for a physician and I do know there is no difference to someone that is in the ER or other healthcare facility when they see the dx of drug dependence because they look at it as addiction which is entirely different, there are drug seeking behaviors with addiction. I blame this on incorrect coding and have seen that many times in physician's offices but would like to know what to do. I am still in tremendous pain because they have not helped me much with getting the proper support mobility wise, still using a walker and can't put weight on my left leg and hip, if I do severe pain and then it goes up my back....I don't want to take this medication all my life and would love to get off of it but they need to get me stabilized mobility wise I believe and then I shouldn't need narcotics but having the dx of chronic pain syndrome can reflect negative vibes towards people if you look it up, some sites are not as severe as others but there is a list of criteria one must meet to achieve that dx. Thanks if anyone can give me feedback, would appreciate it so much!

• can easily be treated, by a steroid and lidocaine injection into the bursa of the hip, which is on the outside of the hip, in the muscles. It is a sac per se that can become inflammed and cause pain. It seems to be a relatively common occurrence in back surgery patients I think because of the change to the aligment.
    I am very familiar with the diagnosis of Chronic Pain syndrome, and it's outcomes. The arthritis can be managed as well, with the use of proper medications. Have you discussed your concerns regarding mobility with your doctor? My physiatrist was very, very helpful in securing my wheelchairs when I needed them, wrote the referral for them and the necessary endorsements and evaluations were done at his behest.
    As far as the implications regarding the drug dependent diagnosis, I do not have that on my records, but am not all that surprised since admitting a patient to a hospital or treatment facility would require a diagnosis code for ongoing treatment/continuation of those medications.