Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery time for foot numbness from disc protrusion

I have an L4-5 disc protrusion according to the MRI and have foot numbness. I would like to know how long it takes for the numbness to stop and what the healing process feels like (from those who have healed). Also, what treatment helped besides surgery and epidurals i.e. Physio, McKenzie stretches etc.,

• I have had numbness in my left foot since 2008 when i first herniated L4-5. I had an open laminectomy and disectomy that year. Most of the numbness in my leg has went away but not my foot. However, it does take quite sometime for nerves to heal. I hope your disc issue does heal on its own and that you have no more issues from it.
    Discectomies 05/08 and 04/11, fusions L4-5 Feb 9,2012 and L3-L4 June 28,2012, Staph infection washout 3/2/2012, Bulged L5-S1. SCS trial on January 17th, 2014, which was a success! Permanent SCS on February 20th.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    can take a long time to heal. Most doctors will tell you that you back/neck/etc pain will feel better sooner than any nerve pain. The longer a nerve root is impinged, the longer it may take to heal. It is not that uncommon to hear situations where that it takes over a year for the nerve pain to subside.

There are also situations in which surgery to correct the nerve impingement was delayed that longer and possible permanent never damage can happen. With my lumbar surgery #3, I wanted too long to have the surgery. As a result, I know have some permanent nerve damage in my right leg and foot. I have a 'dropped' right foot. EMGS confirm this, and I realize that there is not much that I can do. Its not a big problem, just something for me to be aware of... especially walking down stairs.

Personally, I would not hold off any spinal surgery that involved nerve damage. But I am not a doctor, so, I would listen to your doctor first and verify everything with them.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
This discussion has been closed.