Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After laminectomy (micro-dicectomy); Increased PAIN in Buttlocks

I had been suffering from sciatica for about 2 years now. it all started when i completed my graduation (i don't know how, but there could be plenty of factors such as inactivity, bad posture, weight lifting). long story short, i had pain in my buttlocks but intensity of it was not coming in as a hurdle in my daily life activities. i could manage the pain effectively without the need for any medicine. so, recently in august,2013 i became curious that i want to know why m i experiencing this unwanted pain in my buttocks area only while walking or standing for some time.

I went up to physicians, neurosurgeons, they asked for me to get an ECG, X-RAY & MRI. first two showed normal results but the MRI pointed out the root of my issue. i had L4-L5 DISC Herniation..i was scared but meantime was advised to go for a micro-discectomy ASAP or my problem could go worst.

Just now, on 1st of october 2013, i went for the surgery (Laminectomy). and got admitted to 3 more days for care. now, i am home and feeling good. i was just curious that how a person feels after spine surgery. one week from the surgery and pain from scar tissue is gone. but there is one issue which needs to be addressed. now, after the surgery i feel very strong shooting pain in left leg when i tend to stand for more than 5 mins, and now for the first time ever, i am experiencing same shooting pain when i sit while eating or in washroom (i never experienced it before the surgery).

Other than this, I had experienced NO BACK PAIN prior to or after the surgery.
I have a 9-5 desk job, i dont know how much time It would need to recover, so meanwhile, i had taken medical leaves till 22 oct,2013.

Any ideas if all this is normal? are things going in right direction?

• Like you no pain prior or after surgery

Then at 6 weeks post op

Butt pain started when sitting and ots annoying to say the least

Maybe its normal if you have it and i have it too????

I feared having the surgery then getting pain after surgery that i didn't have before.

I think what i was afraid of is happening

But i had cervical surgery also two years ago to prevent becoming paralysed
    Like now, no pain before that surgery BUT PAIN AFTERWARDS FOR 3-4 MONTHS

Who knows?

Rose your partner in post op changes and discomfort

• I had a discemtomy four weeks ago to treat shooting pain in my left leg. The pain prior to surgery was pain from my buttocks all the way down to my ankle. As I healed the pain got better and was only an annoying pain in my left buttocks but around two week mark the pain went down to mid thigh. I went on the forum and read it was normal for pain due to healing of the nerve. I woke up yesterday morning and something didn't feel right and the pain was unbearable and my doctor had me come in ASAP. I broke down when my doctor told me that he thinks I reherniated my disc and after my next MRI we will discuss another surgery!!!! So if it doesn't feel right I would suggest getting an MRI ... I would have ignored the pain bc I'm still healing but I felt something was wrong.
    28 years old with L5 S1 disc herniation. One session of steroid epidural shot and finally had surgery to relieve sciatica pain radiating down left leg on 9/11/13. I had a reherniation same level and had a second discectomy on 10/23/13.
  • Hi rose, i have heard someone saying that there are two types of nerve condition, one is nerve numbness (caused by pressure on nerve), while.the other is nerve pain (caused by nerve inflamation)...i guess what we have is an inflamed nerve (as the nerve was pinched for so long time that is has became inflamed) and it needs some time to get back to normal....i dnt know how much acccuracy this reason holds,i am trying to reach my surgeon via phone (cant go all the way to hospital)....but couldnt reach yet...we can only hope as the chances of reherniation is quite low,i guess this could be the reason behind pain after surgery......
  • hello- i am six weeks post op for a lumbar laminectomy / discectomy- was bedridden in excruciating pain with numbness down whole right leg for almost 3 mths. prior to surgery, hoping the herniated disc would go back on its own, which it didn't. Surgeon waited the longest possible time to operate he said without causing permanent nerve damage- first 2 wks. after surgery doing great, walking, doing home pt exercises, following no lifting, twisting or bending rules, roll out of bed... slowly got numbness coming back in BOTH legs, lower, not as bad as prior to surgery- now its gotten very bad, can't sit long, can't stand long without severe lower back pain extending out to both sides of outer butt, and numbness with pain in legs- getting very worried, just called doctors office- God if i have to have more surgery i feel like i'll die!! Hopefully its just the nerves going crazy, but don't understand why its progressively getting worse at week 6 post op? Anyone else experience this??
  • Hi
    I guess you ARE joining the Rose and Azam club.

I hope Azam is correct and its just our nerves being inflammed from activity.

I had stenosing adhering stenosis, thats how bad it was compression wise.
    Gee, lamenectomies remove the back part of the vertebrae and any other boney structures compressing on the nerves, freeing them to "breath" and have the space they need to expand and be decompressed.

I dont think i have any other bony structures left in my L3-S1 areas to compress on the nerves ir spinal cord so why increasing numbness and tingling? Hope its just inflammed nerves.

What other surgery could i possibly need at this time?

ROSE (8 weeks post op) FEELS LIKE 8 MONTHS. LOL
  • Liz53Liz53 MissouriPosts: 142
    edited 10/11/2013 - 5:13 PM
    This is just depressing! I have low back pain and leg pain/ numbness. Not at the level pre surgery but pretty incapacitating, I am 5 months post L-3-4 microdiscectomy primarily for nerve root compression of L4, for almost 5 months. I am worried that this will never go away! I want to be my normal self again.

Why does the pain come back? I had a repeat MRI because I thought something was wrong and it was fine. Where is all this discomfort coming from.
  • stenosisRosesstenosisRose Posts: 489
    edited 10/11/2013 - 5:32 PM

I am 8 weeks post op and have been having increasing pain and numbness.

So today, i did an experiment

I did not walk much, did no do my exercizes, rested more, even stayed in bed later in the morning and fell back to sleep.

Maybe i was overdoing it????

Maybe AZAM WAS CORRECT, the pain and numbness we are still feeling after surgery is from irritated nerves that need time to heal, muscles to. Not re-injury, not re-herniation

Sitting is my most discomfort. Tomorrow i have to sit in a waiting room and then later on in the day sitting again in a restaurant. Oh boy! THAT WILL BE PAINFUL.
    But like Liz said, " i want to have a normal life"

Sitting in chairs of all kinds and in all kinds of places is a normal part of life.

I have purchased all kinds of cushions and pilllows and they really dont help

I guess time will heal, or not heal! We all have to wait and see at tge 6 months-one year anniversary how we are doing.

Have a great weekend

• azam329aazam329 Posts: 9
    edited 10/13/2013 - 1:51 PM

lying flat on bed for days makes me wonder if this is possibly the worst kind of medical problem which we are facing, i guess people with internal organ problems atleast are able to get most out of their remaining life....ya liz, it makes me depressed but lets not just let it make us hostage of its existance....let us hope for the best possible outcome, let positive energy sorround ourselves as we get over it. fingers crossed ,

today, i stretched a little, 2 weeks post op now. pain at surgery site is almost gone now,
    how i stretch: lying flat on bed, legs straight, getting one knee up...and stretching it towards the chest...but now i feel more pain while standing...so should i stop it for now?

hi rose, kindly tell me if there is any stronger painkiller, (your doctor might have suggested) that could just numb this pain off a little.
  • Gigi2001GGigi2001 Posts: 1
    edited 10/14/2013 - 10:03 AM
    Ive had this awful throbbing and jabbing pain running from the left rear and side of my buttocks, down my leg to the top of my foot. The pain is so bad I can't sleep at night because I can't sit, stand, lay, down, or do much of anything too long, so I'm constantly flipping back and forth like a fish out of water to relieve the pain. I had two MRIs done with much of the same problems found. L4 and L5 DDD, stenosis and DJD. I've gone through injections, therapy and now am only taking pain meds because I've had no relief. Im getting ready to have another MRI done and was really praying there was something out there that actually worked. This pain is so bad I have to use a walker most times and its really left me handicapped. I have to use pillows to prop my back behind me when I sit. It's been many years since I've laid in my bed to sleep because of the throbbing pain, so I sit in a recliner at night. My whole lifestyle has been uprooted, and Im so tired of the pain I'm constantly in. All of you that's been through the surgeries, can you give me some advise on having a surgery or not.
  • I have very bad reaction to all pain meds
    I cant take any meds and had my total hip replacement, cervical and lumbar spine surgery
    WITH NO PAIN MEDS, only tylenol, plain tylenol

I know its hard to believe but no pain meds so sorry Azam, i dont have pain med answers for you

• azam329aazam329 Posts: 9
    edited 10/15/2013 - 1:57 AM
    get an MRI and see if there is a disc prolapse, if it is the case, then you got to get the surgery, there is no other option but to solve the root cause, wish you best of luck
    God bless you Rose <3
  • As far as recommending surgery or not, I always have believed that if the problem can be fixed , then fix it.......it might very well bring you far more relief than you could possibly imagine and, allow you to resume your life in a way that you can only dream about.
    Symptoms after the surgery can usually be managed, and you may find that those are minimal. If the nerves are compressed, and it is causing numbness, relieving the compression on the nerves will allow that type of pain to lessen or disappear altogether, if you go ahead with the surgery.
    At some point, we have to decide if we have done enough of the conservative measures to see if they would work, and if not, then we have to make a decision to continue on the way we are, and know that things will get worse or take the chance at getting surgery and hopefully fixing the problem