Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Curious about pain relief

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 12/09/2013 - 3:56 PM in Chronic Pain
I imagine most of us on this forum have pain meds. I was wondering how much relief you get from your meds. For me, My pain never seems to go away, just is reduced to managable levels. I know pain scales are subjective, but I would put it at 3 on my best of days, but most likely 4-5. 6 is when the pain starts to make me queasy and cry more.
Does anyones pain meds make their pain disappear almost completely till their next dose? I not sure any of us has pain free days. Just wondering, don't really know anyone who has chronic pain and meds to compare notes with.

• Also I recently checked out some books from the library about back and neck pain. They had some very good information. made me think the Dr writing the books know more about me than the Drs that see me, lol. I am not sure if we can mention the names/authors, but I know the libraries are filled with books about pain.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    edited 10/14/2013 - 5:22 PM
    about any pain medication that will eliminate the pain you are currently experiencing.
    Even with the total package of medications, the best you are looking at is pain levels that are acceptable and that you can live with.

I think the last time I ever had pain medications take away the pain, was about 25 years ago, and I doubled up on my pain medications. For several hours, I had no pain, but also, I didnt have much of anything else also

Pain free days? I guess that comes down to what we can deal with. For me, personally, a pain free day is when my pain level is about a 3. At 63 years old, I can not remember a day that I had without any pain.

Pain management is the only thing I look towards and I have that today
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yes will b pain free for 5/6 hours. After 1 year an injections etc. Meds were too low. I still get tired but as long as I don't get crazy I'm ok.

All doc did was increase meds a bit...you would think they would have done it quicker...
  • pain free. There is no such animal if you indeed have chronic pain. Once an area of the body is injured, nothing is ever going to return it to the state that it was prior to the injury......the goal is to reduce the unmedicated pain levels by about 50% according to what I have been told, and to reach an acceptable level of pain that allows you to perform most of the activities of daily living.
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 10/13/2013 - 9:29 AM
    You confirmed what I thought. Still when I go to the Dr they ask, I always say it is 24/7. I had one ask me how I know I have pain when I sleep. I told him I can't sleep unless, I have taken 1,2,then drug 3. And still I wake up and readjust. Some days I don't do most ADLs and if I do it is with tears. Sad to think of life like that, and sometimes I don't even care, that involves energy.
  • Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
    edited 10/13/2013 - 10:54 AM
    I think that the best advice I have for you is to accept that the pain will always be there - be it a 3 or a 6. Speaking from my own experience, I had the highest hope that I would be pain free after a certain amount of time after surgery. The expectation caused a lot of anxiety and frustration on my part and therefore pain plagued my life. This is not to say that we shouldn't continue to seek ways of being pain free, we must keep up with the pain and continue exercising and taking medication.

Core strengthening has been very helpful. Some people benefit from yoga, swimming, etc. As long as you can function with the pain, I think that is what the doctors are aiming for. There are people who eventually become pain free and having a positive attitude about your own situation will help reduce anxiety which might make pain better.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • in that, we all, have to make the adjustment to living a new life with a constant background of pain at some level, and once you do accept that it will always be there, no matter what you do, you eventually learn to ignore that background level or cope with it better than you used to, and then eventually you also learn to push through the pain a bit and it is something that we do all have to learn to do, in order to be able to function.
    It's easy to let the pain rule our activities but we need to learn to manage it, not let it manage our lives..........there is a difference.