Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Steroids before an MRI?

My PT told me today that after an injury especially after spine surgery
Oral steroids ( medrol dose pak) is usually given for 6-10 days before having an MRI
To reduce the swelling so that the radiologist can get a CLEARER VIEW of the spinal structures
To give a MORE ACCURATE impression and diagnosis.

This makes sense to me!
Reduce the swelling to be able to see the discs, facets, pars etc....better

Anyone else heard about this?

I am 12 weeks lumbar lamenectomies and have injured myself.
Steroids were prescribed first, then if no imorovement or if worse an MRI will be ordered.

• Every time I was put on the steroid pack it was to try and see if the pain is coming for the nerve being inflamed. The steroids are suppose to help reduce the swelling. If you continue to have pain and find that the steroids do not bring any relief then the MRI is used to see what is going on. But it depends on your doctor, they may have you take a higher dose of steroids for another 6 days. Some doctors are quick to order testing and some like to prescribe drugs and the "wait and see" method. (They must really like their drug company rep, or they get some great rewards. JK)

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014