Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical RFA

I had a RFA on my cervical spine a year and a half ago. I was not prepared for how intense the pain was afterwards, not at all! Literally took weeks (6!) However painful it was, I enjoyed 11 months of zero pain in my neck. After the 11 glorious months, to say I was upset is an understatement. At first I thought "Oh I just slept wrong" nope, the nerves grew back. So back to the horrible pain. It was as if I never had it done. So after being upset they grew back (I was told 50% of people didn't have their pain return) and after a little denial, here I am with an appointment this Wednesday to set up the repeat procedure. I am excited! My attitude is always really good, and I believe this time it won't be as bad. Even if it is, I know what to expect!! Also I know that 6 weeks goes by fast (I will be telling myself that during recovery!) and the payout will be awesome. I am intolerant to pain medicine, so Zanaflex and Advil liqua gels to the rescue! I have, however tolerated Morphine in the ER along with Phenergrin (sp?) But at home I will just try and sleep as much as possible. The one thing I am committed to doing is during my pain free time I will work on my posture and try to strengthen my body.
In addition I have 2 herniated discs in my thoracic so without the neck pain I am able to handle that. Compound that plus the neck, life can be difficult to say the least! I am happy to find a forum with folks who understand what we go through on a daily basis. I feel for my husband who had a very hard time watching me in so much pain. To all of you who have found success with this procedure, I am happy you found it. I sure am!
Have a great week! Jan

• Welcome :). Cuddos for the brilliant attitude although I know its hard to keep it up sometimes.

I, too have had ablations for my C facet joints, on 4 levels. First time I had great relief too! I think for 7 or so months. Then my bad discs or the stenosis started messing with my peripheral nerves left arm, hand and shoulder. I lost reflexes, and arm got so week I couldnt even hold a phone and numbness all the time, burning pain so bad I wanted to chop of my arm. So I went in for a fusion C5-C7 to stop the damage. They cleared up a bunch of facet arhritis and surgeon said it was all gone since I was fused...

Well, guess what, I still struggle with nerve and facet pain and they got to one or two nerve roots too late, I still present with neuropathy from c5-t1. So another round of ablation, calmed things down but for less time than the first one. Still, I'll do a third and a fourth if I have to, cause it does help to calm things down for me and deaden those nerve ends for a couple of months.

I know a lot of people hate the procedure and have more pain after. We are all different. I had short time pain - a couple of days after procedure, then a lighter flare and then, ahh, pain gone (at least there) for a while :).

Im getting my permanent spinal cord stimulator next week for that darn neuropathy that is permanent now and sucks bad. But I can still get more ablasions if needed. So far they have helped me the most, except for the scs. I have gotten so many epidurals and im kind of done with steroids for a long time... But then, when the bad flares kick in, I willingly say yes to pretty much everything my pain doctor throws at me.

Anyways, sorry about the rant. Just wanted to wish you welcome and I find it inspiring and hopeful that the ablasions have helped you so much. I kinda like them, at least the results.

Best wishes for your upcoming procedure and to a great outcome.
    Cause: car accident & genetics
    Effect: herniations C4-7, stenosis, osteoarthritis, myelopathy, neuropathy
    Non-invasive Treatment: everything under the sun
    Invasive Treatment: 2 level ACDF, C5 & C6, May 2012
    Moving Forward: SCS
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Spine-Health contains detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal conditions and treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

Here are some links you should take a look at:
    Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/spinehealth, Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/ , and Twitter @SpineHealth.

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to contact any one of the moderators on my team:

Ron DiLauro

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery