Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Don't leave your meds!

Yesterday I went out grocery shopping with my two kids in the rain. I parked beside a buggy rack (cart rack, whatever it is you call it). I managed to get two kids "loaded and locked in" as well as the groceries which is always a hurdle even when the weather is nice. I went to put the buggy in the rack an looked down and there was a wet bag in a cart and something caught me eye... long story short it was someone's medication... I wasn't trying to be nosy but I did take a look to see if the person's phone number was on it figuring it was the buggy in front of mine so maybe I could catch them before they were too far away. It was three meds, one was a narcotic. No phone number so I unloaded my kids and went back in to deliver the meds to the pharmacy.... Don't let this happen to you! What if someone else had found them an not returned them????
33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.

• Glad someone honest found them. I'm sure they were really upset when they noticed them missing. I hold on to mine like they are gold. But maybe they were having a hard time getting kids and groceries loaded in the car as well. Nice to know there are still good honest people in the world!
    Acdf C5 C6 12/13/12
    Laminectomy and Discectomy L5 S1 12/12/13
  • Glad you stepped up to the plate and brought them back to the pharmacy! I, like Summit, hang onto my meds like they're gold. Being a constant calendar watcher, I have learned to know when I need to call and request my meds. I park directly in front of the pharmacy, go in and get them and leave right away ... Keeping them with me ALL of the time.

Happy Holidays To You All!
    Low back pain, sacroiliac joint pain, neck pain & swelling, nerve pain, fibromyalgia, fatigue, osteoarthritis, painful periods, ovarian cysts, bipolar disorder & MDD, anxiety, insomnia, asthma, & hbp.

~ Shell ~
  • I keep my meds in a safe place at home, I get a two month scrip at a time so I hide most of them and just keep whats's needed still in a safe place but easer for me to get to as I need to take them trough out the day. Well I am a very private person and don't have a lot of vistors , last week my sister who has mental health problems came to stay with me and a box went missing, now what do I do if I ask did you take them she is going to say NO. I did not see her take them but I had only put them tabs in there the day before . So I am not going mad, I know one thing she can't stay again what am I going to say to my GP this month .
  • Tina tell him/her the truth - he must know you looked after your sister's child and know that you are an honest person. I think I would call and tell your GP straight away. Your GP should be OK. You have done so much for your sister - seems like you can't do much more. If your sister has mental health problems you don't know what she will do with the meds. It could be quite dangerous for her. Have you told your mum? Don't think your GP will call the police, but that is so morally wrong of your sister and you don't need this just before Christmas. Pls call your GP and tell him/her straight away. The longer you leave it the harder it will be. Maybe you could take your Mum with you. Hope you and your family have a happy Christmas - you deserve it.
  • How much of your medication did she get away with taking? Did you file a police report? I think that you are in the UK , correct?
    Do you have a contract with your GP? Either way, you need to let the doctor know that the medication was stolen, first , to protect yourself, and secondly to protect your doctor. Her being in possession of your medications can result in her overdosing, especially if she takes more of the medications than dosed. If she is not opiate tolerant, then it can really be dangerous.
    Your doctor may or may not replace the medications, but at this point, the only thing you can do is be honest with your doctor.
  • Well last night I had a chat with my mom about this box off tabs , as its been no stop on my mind and told my mom what happened and if I did not get them back I would have to call the police tell my doctor ext . So my mom asked me not to do that just yet, I get a phone call an hour later off my mom not my sister saying she had taken by mistake she thought the were hers they must of got mixed up with her stuff and my mom got them back for me. Thank God because after reading your posts I relised I really needed to do some thing about this. I don't believe my sister for a minute , I put my meds is such a safe place because I have a boy he has friends come in and out so they are well hidden not lieing around. My mom checked the box and said there is two missing. I believe I had only taken one. Thanks
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 12/17/2013 - 7:16 AM
    I am glad that you got them back. I have a hard time believing that she "thought" they were hers, in your storage safe place for the meds? It seems like your mom is aware that your sister has an issue with the medication since she asked you not to contact the doctor or the police, and a short time later, you got them back.
    I am glad that it all worked out for you, but I would be very careful about her coming to your house again..........
  • Good thing you found them and not someone that would keep them. Imagine just filling your meds, then having to call your doctor and trying to get a new script. That's a negative check right there too. Plus you would have to pay out of pocket because insurance wouldn't pay. I know you are supposed to keep all medications in their original bottles while carrying them around but that is just really inconvenient so I just keep a few days worth in one bottle and keep that with me. I lost it a couple months ago, and even though I would have been OK it still would have been rough. I ended up finding them outside my house on the hill that leads to the shopping plaza. It fell out of my pocket :(!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • You were also lucky you found your meds when you lost them, and yes sandi my mom has had 22 years of hell with my sister but my mom say's were there life there hope. I am different I believe its life choice's , I do try and trust her from time to time but she just let's me down.
  • tina I have been in your shoes with my brother. I have tried so many times to help him out. He has mental disorders as well as substance abuse issues. There are times he has been homeless and being the big sister and I always have a big heart. He has stolen my meds countless times. The part the kills me is that drug abusers tend to be masters at finding well hidden items because he finds anything that I hide in my house and eventually it ends up being stolen. My insurance requires me to get 3 mo refills so I often have alot of medication on hand. The only resolution for me was a safe deposit box at the bank. I can rest easy and no longer worry about him going to my home when I'm not there. I know he has one that in the past when I wasnt here. I think he entered through a back window and he stole a brand new $900 video camera. i just bought it, I only used it once. I had no idea when it was stolen because he left the box. So imagine the surpise I got when I pulled the box out of the closet and it was empty. I was sick. That is only a small sample of things he has taken from me, he stole my kids ipods, my credit cards, my change bucket. I even got him a job working for me at my office and I had my own office and had a stash of cash I was saving for 2 years to have my bathroom remodeled. There was $2900. This money was always locked in a very discrete wallet and no one ever saw me put anything in that drawer. I opened the drawer to put my latest contribution which I would do every 2 weeks and it was all gone. I almost had a freaking heart attack. That jerk off stole it. I had a bad vibe about him hanging around my office when I wasn't in it and my intuition was right and he was up to something. My boss got it out of him that he did in fact steal my money. Not that I would get it back from him. My mother reimbursed me for every dime he stole. Any way he lies about everything and all of this has happened over a matter of years and I did have alot of compassion but now it has hardened me to a point that I really keep my distance. I don't want him anywhere near my house. I'm now out on worker's compensation so he can't gain access to my home because I'm home all the time. I get he has issue's and stuff and I was supportive for years but to be honest I'm done. I keep my distance. Someone told me it was illegal to put my meds in my safe deposit box and I was like and who is going to know I put them there. I don't share anything about my meds with anyone but this is the only solution that works for me.
  • tina coylettina coyle Posts: 125
    edited 12/22/2013 - 6:55 PM
    Its sounds like you been through a lot with you brother and getting him a job were you worked was so good. It sounds like we been through a lot of the same thing, because when I was working my mom had asked me to get my sister a job there but I said NO to that because what happened to you I knew would of happened to me and I really loved my job it was my only escape at the time because I lived next door to my mother. Things have change now I moved away my sister did not know were I lived for about 4yrs. She not getting in any more I mean like you she always took other things even my sons watch one time. Well tommrow is Christmas eve and today the last day to get things ready so happy xmass .
  • Can I ask why no one uses a safe? That was one of the first things I did was buy a safe. This way no one can find or take my meds. I would never leave them anywhere but in a safe. In fact my pain contract requires me to buy a safe and put them there. No worries!
  • Chrissysmom said:
    Can I ask why no one uses a safe? That was one of the first things I did was buy a safe. This way no one can find or take my meds. I would never leave them anywhere but in a safe. In fact my pain contract requires me to buy a safe and put them there. No worries!
    Mine are now kept in a gun safe, I have the only access to it. Just a year ago, I was missing 12 of my pain pills after an Xmas gathering in my house. I keep good track of them. I had them put away under my bathroom sink vanity, but someone took the trouble to go through it. I think I know who it was, I have it narrowed down to 2 non-blood family members that I have to deal with a few times a year.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.