Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tomorrow is the day-4 level DLIF-rods & screws

4 lumbar levels! Scary for me. My Doctor said 10 incisions in my back for rods & screws. Two incisions on my left side. I pray this works and my pain will go away. If not all the way, at least be in minimum pain that I can tolerate. It's been a long painful journey and I just want my life back. I can't move without horrible pain. I also hope the recovery isn't too horrible. My Doctor said I'll be in the hospital 3 to 5 days, 6 weeks min. out of work, PT etc. I'm ready & scared at the same time. Any advise would be so appreciated.
New MRI's Not good-Cervical-Thoracic-Brain
DLIF 4 level lumbar fusion L1 to L5 Dec 2013...
ACDF 2 level cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 Dec 2011
advertisement

Comments

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Understood, ready and also scared. It is a big surgery. Just stay positive, be strong, and follow doctors orders.
    Wish you the best, keep us posted.
    ranger
  • Thanks Ranger, I'll keep in touch and update my situation when I can. Hopefully sooner than later. I am staying as positive as I can but the worry worms creep in and my thoughts go wild on all the "what if's"
    New MRI's Not good-Cervical-Thoracic-Brain
    DLIF 4 level lumbar fusion L1 to L5 Dec 2013...
    ACDF 2 level cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 Dec 2011

• I totally understand that pre-surgery anxiety. Most of us who have had surgery went through it.

A lot of us say after surgery that the anxiety before surgery was worse than the actual surgery. I hope you will be one of those too.
    By the time we get so close to surgery, we generally know that it is the only option left to us to try to get our life back.
    4 levels is going to be tough, but others have gone through it and come back to tell us how much better they feel and wish they had not waited so long.
    You will need to follow all the restrictions you are given for after surgery. Remember that your surgeon has reasons for giving them and if you forget, you will most likely flare up your pain for a few days.

This is a great place to come and talk to others who have experienced the long recovery after spinal fusion and sometimes things we found to help us can help you too.

Do ask if you have any questions. We are happy to share our experiences with you.

• I am going in tomorrow for a single level fusion, L4-L5. I cant imagine what you must be going through, I know what I am and I am only having one level done. I will say a prayer for you. My surgery is at 9:30 and it is just over a 2 hour surgery, yours must be closer to 4-5 hours? We can do this we just need to stay positive.

I thought that by this time I would be having second thoughts about the whole thing but I have been in so much pain in the last 3 days I am ready to get it over with. I have some anxiety but not too bad. I am sure tonight it will kick in a bit more, thank goodness for Xanax otherwise I wouldnt be able to sleep tonight.

Good Luck.
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
  • Just take it one moment at a time until you can take it a day at a time.... Wishing you the best. Surround yourself with positive/uplifting people. Hope you are feeling better by Christmas.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.

• Good luck to both of you for tomorrow :-)
  • sibsiessibsie Posts: 49
    edited 12/01/2013 - 12:17 PM
    wishing you both the very best. I had a 2 level fusion and laminectomy done in October. Hands down the best decision I've ever made. It was way easier than I thought it would be.

Good luck
  • Just duckie I hope you are doing good I will pray that everything went well and you are resting with less pain. Can't wait to hear from you.

I made it out of surgery just a little over 2 hours. The major pain that I have been having since Thursdays was due to a piece of the disc breaking off and sticking between my spinal column and nerve. So far I have been up out of bed 4 times to use the bathroom no trips down the hall yet, not till PT comes in tomorrow. I have been feeling pretty good over all. The typical muscle pain and I have some hip pain on both sides because I have been walking fun for the last 4 days due to pain.
    Kristy

L4-L5 Herniated 02-02-2013 (Slipped on Ice)
    L4-L5 MicroD 08-07-2013, Reherniated 10-21-2013
    L4-L5 MicroD Revision 10-07-2013, Reherniated 10-17-2013
    L4-L5 PLIF/TLIF 10-02-2013
    Released From Surgeon & All Restrictions 03-06-2014
advertisement